Gas leak

Got questions? We got answers....
koolranch

Gas leak

Post by koolranch »

The bike runs great however it leaks fuel at every stop. Mostly out of the live I'm pointing to at the top of the carb. I purchased a rebuild kit and it did nothing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Gas leak

Post by Tioli »

If you are pointing to the air vent at the top of the carb then I would think your bike does not run at all. That's the highest point of your float bowl and used to equalise the air preasure with the outside. If your Stop valve for the float is stuck or has crud in it fuel can just constantly run in. Even then I would expect fuel will still find its way out before it got to the top vent, eg float bow overflow and on to the ground, needle valve seat and into motor or air box, pilot jet air vent and in to carb.

To be coming out there it has to be coming out the other places first as they are lower and that would make the motor almost impossibly rich.

Take the hose off and see if it is that vent and not the float bowl overflow which would present as one of the vent lines under your motor.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
koolranch

Re: Gas leak

Post by koolranch »

Thanks Tioli, it also leaks from one of the lines at the bottom of the carb. I think it's something to do with the float or needle seat.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Gas leak

Post by SS109 »

If you rebuilt the carb then your issue is with float height. Pull it back off and check it.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
koolranch

Post by koolranch »

SS109 wrote:If you rebuilt the carb then your issue is with float height. Pull it back off and check it.

Well rebuilt is kind of vague. I swapped out all the parts that came with the kit. I never touched the float. I'll have to measure the height and see if it's in spec.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You used a "rebuild kit"? Most of those are a bag full of cheap crappy Chinese knockoff replacement bits. I'd bet the float needle from the kit is garbage, and that fuel is actually dumping out of the overflow because it won't seal. As mentioned above, it's pretty much impossible for fuel to be pouring out from the vent line. It would have to fill up the intake boot and reed block before it could reach that level.