Help choosing!!

Got questions? We got answers....
Trickyrick

Help choosing!!

Post by Trickyrick »

Hi All! New member here, making a return to dirt after a 20yr absence. I'm picking up a KDX 200 this weekend and I've narrowed it down to 2 bikes....problem is, they're both fine examples. I suppose I need a push in one direction or another. The first I'm considering is a *MINT* 2002 with a host of tasteful aftermarket goodies. Clean doesn't begin to describe this bike. It has only about 55hrs on the original motor. The other is a 2005 w/2001 USD KX fork conversion. It too is in great shape, with many upgrades, but it has been used as a woods race bike for the past few years. It's motor has been rebuilt top to bottom with no expense spared this past winter, with only about 20hrs on it since.
Both bikes are the same price, so that isn't a deciding factor. I have a feeling that if I buy the 2002, I'll end up doing a fork conversion sooner or later so I'm leaning a bit towards the 2005. BUT I love the condition of the 2002, it's as new as you can get.
Help me out!! Which would you choose and why??
Thanks!

Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Help choosing!!

Post by Dekon »

If it was me, I would go with the 2005 since it already has the fork conversion. If the motor has only 20hr SMOH, that also is a plus. I am sure others will chime in with their thoughts. Ultimately, it really comes down to your choice.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

2002. Silver framed KDX's are lame!

The USD forks are nice, but who knows if they're sprung and valves for your riding style? You may end up investing even more than it would cost to put USD's on the '02.
'00 KDX 220R
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

I have an '05 with KX forks and I say go for the 2002. If you want to swap forks later, it's not tough and a good learning experience. Besides, that KX green frame is just plain sexy!
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Don't wait too long- you might not have a choice.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

the 2002 because you probably got fat and lazy during your 20 years off bikes. ha! but seriously.
the 2005 is setup for a fast rider that races.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Trickyrick

Post by Trickyrick »

Jaguar wrote:the 2002 because you probably got fat and lazy during your 20 years off bikes. ha! but seriously.
the 2005 is setup for a fast rider that races.
LOL!! I've been road racing most recently, so this would be a way to scratch the itch during the off season!
I appreciate the input guys. I'm going to look at both of them this weekend and one is going to be in my truck on the way home.
I'll report back with pictures.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Help choosing!!

Post by SS109 »

The '05 hands down. Less hours and already has the KX forks. Setting up the suspension for it will be way cheaper than doing a conversion later and still having to set it up. Plus, frames can be painted! :mrgreen:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

My vote would be for the 05 as well. I actually prefer the silver frame and black tank, and I'd rather 20 hours on an engine rebuilt by a knowledgeable person to 55 hours on a bone stock engine. The fork swap is also a huge plus, IMO.

When you go to look at them, try to check out condition of linkage/wheel bearings etc. on both bikes. If you can possibly get a quick ride on each of them back to back, that will most likely be the deciding factor for you.
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by K50X200 »

'05...
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
Trickyrick

Post by Trickyrick »

Julien D wrote:My vote would be for the 05 as well. I actually prefer the silver frame and black tank, and I'd rather 20 hours on an engine rebuilt by a knowledgeable person to 55 hours on a bone stock engine. The fork swap is also a huge plus, IMO.

When you go to look at them, try to check out condition of linkage/wheel bearings etc. on both bikes. If you can possibly get a quick ride on each of them back to back, that will most likely be the deciding factor for you.
Good point about the bearings, thanks.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Id go with the '05
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

If you start leaning towards the '05, make sure to ask some specifics about the fork conversion. Like who did the work (RB, local machine shop, etc), were they lowered internally or are they stock and raised in the clamps, were they revalved or resprung?
Trickyrick

Post by Trickyrick »

Tedh98 wrote:If you start leaning towards the '05, make sure to ask some specifics about the fork conversion. Like who did the work (RB, local machine shop, etc), were they lowered internally or are they stock and raised in the clamps, were they revalved or resprung?
He had a shop press the stem in, but he did the swap himself. No internal work so they were raised up in the triples a bit. Is there a difference in performance between internal shortening vs. raising?
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Trickyrick wrote:
Tedh98 wrote:If you start leaning towards the '05, make sure to ask some specifics about the fork conversion. Like who did the work (RB, local machine shop, etc), were they lowered internally or are they stock and raised in the clamps, were they revalved or resprung?
He had a shop press the stem in, but he did the swap himself. No internal work so they were raised up in the triples a bit. Is there a difference in performance between internal shortening vs. raising?

Mine are lowered internally. You do lose a slight bit of "range" of fork travel. For me, 20 years I needed the extra travel. Now, not so much.

Another vote for the '05.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

B737driver wrote:
Trickyrick wrote:

Mine are lowered internally. You do lose a slight bit of "range" of fork travel. For me, 20 years I needed the extra travel. Now, not so much.

Another vote for the '05.
Yes, but if you have forks that have 11" of travel and take one inch out, you will then have forks with the same amount of travel as the KDX ....10". So not a bad thing to have them lowered, just don't over do it.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Trickyrick

Post by Trickyrick »

Well, both sellers sent me more detailed pictures of the bikes last night, and the 05 has definitely seen more use. There's a couple small tears on the seat, the plastics have considerably more scratches, and it generally looks more beat. That's not to say its clapped out, but it's been ridden. The 02 on the other hand, looks like you could eat off the thing, as close to showroom as I've ever seen. I'm an OCD nut when it comes to machines and mechanical things, so now I'm leaning towards the 02, LOL.
Eh well, first guy to drop a couple dollars from their "FIRM" price gets the sale! Otherwise I'll go get a KTM...... :lol:

Now onto a related note: what's a good boot that won't break the bank???
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I'd go '05. You won't regret having those forks.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

02 has my vote. I am OCD when it comes to engines and perfer one untouched. Good luck! Keep us posted.