Kdx 200 lower exhaust mount keeps snapping

Got questions? We got answers....
Otoko Retoro

Post by Otoko Retoro »

On my 1990 kdx 200 the exhaust kept blowing. I finally got around to checking it out, the bolt attatched to the first mount snapped so i changed it. Next week it blows again, this time one of the spring holding the exhaust had stretched so changed that. Then it started blowing again, this time the frame mount with the rubber had snapped. I drilled and tapped a new bolt, that snapped so finally welded a new piece of allthread to the frame for the rubber mount to bolt too. Guess what... that snapped too. Wtf is going on? The exhaust doesnt move that much right?
rashad

Re: Kdx 200 lower exhaust mount keeps snapping

Post by rashad »

Sounds like the engine is moving or something.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

Sounds like something has taken a hit and mover permanently. I would loosen every thing off and see where it wants to sit. Then line up the mounts with out putting any pressure on any of the mounts. In theory it should all snug up without moving the mounts or pipe. If some thing is out and you can't correct it then pack the mount base so no preasure is put on the rubber block. Expansion chambers have to be able to move around with vibration and that is in all directions so it should sit in the middle of its flexing range and not bolted up already pulled to one side.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I agree w/Tioli....The proper way to set the pipe is to get it pushed into the head, set the springs, then tighten down the nuts and bolt. This lets the pipe sit where it wants to and the mounts are moved to match the pipe.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
rashad

Post by rashad »

I will say on my bike.. it had a rough previous life and the exhaust (stock and the new FMF) did NOT want to bolt up easily. Doing the above would leave you with an unbolted exhaust until you started moving and banging things like I had to.
Otoko Retoro

Post by Otoko Retoro »

Many thanks for the replies, I tried offering the pipe up and set the springs however
it doesn't sit very far in the head if I do this, you can see nearly both the rubber rings on the exhaust.

As the original mount thread snapped, decided to drill it out and put a threaded insert using my thread riveter. I went up to an m8 bolt and this worked for a few weeks but has again snapped! :evil: :evil: :evil:

think what im trying to say is that a reasonable amount of pressure is required to seat the exhaust in the head properly. Thus as you guys have said, something is out of place. Initially id say the 2nd mount kinda hiding behind the tank looks suspicious as I can seat the exhaust nicely, then have to bang and force the pipe to meet the 2nd mount.

Looks like I have somewhere to start

Related question, do you have to use exhaust gasket sealer? I ask because I brought the bike with none on the joint, but the kawasaki parts diagram shows exhaust gasket sealer on the tools page making me think there should be some? Also those rubbe o-rings on the exhaust dont seem to last too long...
rashad

Post by rashad »

try using some copper silicone on the exhaust gasket and o rings... seals up nicely. i will say my bike did not line up very good with either pipe... but the bolts arent snapping.. if anything the mounts should give way before that. You are 100% sure you have the right pipe?
Otoko Retoro

Post by Otoko Retoro »

rashad wrote:try using some copper silicone on the exhaust gasket and o rings... seals up nicely. i will say my bike did not line up very good with either pipe... but the bolts arent snapping.. if anything the mounts should give way before that. You are 100% sure you have the right pipe?
Well good news, I did as suggested and loosened all the mounts off then reseated the engine. Welded a new mount on the frame and its lasted since my last post :) Result. Now gotta work out why my kdx hates the rain! Cheers for the replies
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Otoko Retoro wrote:
rashad wrote:try using some copper silicone on the exhaust gasket and o rings... seals up nicely. i will say my bike did not line up very good with either pipe... but the bolts arent snapping.. if anything the mounts should give way before that. You are 100% sure you have the right pipe?
Well good news, I did as suggested and loosened all the mounts off then reseated the engine. Welded a new mount on the frame and its lasted since my last post :) Result. Now gotta work out why my kdx hates the rain! Cheers for the replies
Glad you got it sorted. As for the rain, check where the wires enter the side case. My friend's leaked there and every once and a while going through water it would cut on him. Turns out water was running down the wires on the ignition and causing the issue. He just carefully wrapped the wires in electrical tape and put a zip tie on so it would not come undone. That was six years ago and not a problem since.