clutch

Got questions? We got answers....
mrmojorisin

clutch

Post by mrmojorisin »

Hello everyone. At 52 years old finally got my first kdx 200 lol. I have been doing hare scrambles, last week I broke the clutch lever during a race. I limped it back to the truck by holding the lever in the perch and only shifted as needed. I put a new perch and clutch lever on last night ( not my first rodeo). But was not able to get the cable adjusted. In fact to eliminate the possibility of it being the cable, I put plyers onto the clutch bracket at the clutch cover. Engage the clutch with the pliers still could not move bike while in gear. But here is the more interesting part. When not engaged and in gear I can move the bike fairly easy. Im just a dumb country boy who gets confused easy lol. Am I missing something here? Any thoughts?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: clutch

Post by Julien D »

Any testing of the function of a centrifugal wet clutch is useless without the motor running.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: clutch

Post by diymirage »

Julien D wrote:Any testing of the function of a centrifugal wet clutch is useless without the motor running.

to elaborate on this principle...the KDX uses a multiple wet plate clutch
this means that there are several friction plates, all covered in oil

then the bike is NOT running this oil will almost act as glue and keep the clutch "engaged" even though there is no pressure on it

now, once we kick the engine over, the centrifugal forces of the spinning crank will fling all the oil out from between the clutchplates, allowing the clutch to become truly disengaged

this is why you want the engine to be running when you try to adjust the clutch lever, and it is also why you always want the bike in neutral when you push it with the engine off (and off course it is good practice to only push the bike in neutral ESPECIALLY with the engine running)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
mrmojorisin

clutch

Post by mrmojorisin »

Just fyi I did try to adjust the clutch while running also. Before I broke the clutch lever it could be pushed and started in gear. After hours of messing with it and getting up close and personal with the clutch itself . The final proven conclusion is a new clutch kit and springs. Thank you for the suggestions. I did not realize that the kdx cannot role while in gear due to the clutch design. Keep the rpms up!! :supz: