2001 kdx220 headlight question

Got questions? We got answers....
Bill1977
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Bill1977 »

I just bought this bike over the weekend. The previous owner removed the headlight and tail light and no longer had them. I was wondering if I can just put on a cheap headlight from ebay and wire it up without a switch because I dont have that either. Can I just wire it up so the headlight is on hi beam while the bike is running or will I need to get a switch also ? Is it ok to not run a tailight or should I get one of them to? I wasnt sure without one if it would send to much voltage to the headlight without it.
"All bikes are created equal, riders aren't."
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 2001 kdx220 headlight question

Post by Julien D »

Sure you can. Just keep in mind that you only have about 35W to play with from the stock lighting coil.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

I would also suggest you check that the regulator is still there. That should limit the lighting voltage. The regulator is usually under the seat, near the CDI box.

Hopefully, when the lighting was removed, the wiring for the lighting is still there.

You should be able to use the site's search function to find the wiring diagram for your 220.
Bill1977
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Bill1977 »

The wiring is still there at least for the head light it is just taped up. There is no switch on the handle bars though but I plan on wiring it up so it is on all the time. I will have to check to see if the regulator is still there. Thanks for the info
rashad

Post by rashad »

How would one wire it this way? I have the same issue.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

rashad wrote:How would one wire it this way? I have the same issue.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk
make sure the voltage regulator is inline with whatever circuit you use... otherwise you'll pop bulbs or LED's pretty fast.

without a lighting switch, just connect the RED wire to the + on your lights, and hte YELLOWBLACK ot the -
rashad

Post by rashad »

I am not sure how the switch was deleted... would this just work? Or would I need to make sure the switch wiring is not in the middle? The regulator is under the seat mounted to the frame behind the cdi right?
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

rashad wrote:I am not sure how the switch was deleted... would this just work? Or would I need to make sure the switch wiring is not in the middle? The regulator is under the seat mounted to the frame behind the cdi right?

deleting the light switch means unplug it. the VR is under the seat, yes.
rashad

Post by rashad »

ohgood wrote:
rashad wrote:I am not sure how the switch was deleted... would this just work? Or would I need to make sure the switch wiring is not in the middle? The regulator is under the seat mounted to the frame behind the cdi right?

deleting the light switch means unplug it. the VR is under the seat, yes.
What I am saying is, I am unsure (based on the way this bike was when I got it) If they just cut wires somewhere or if they even unplugged it... I understand the definition of 'delete."

So there are three wires, black, red yellow, in a harness that has just been cut and is laying where the headlight would go.. i wasn't sure if those wires are from the switch or the headlight harness...
Bill1977
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Bill1977 »

Well I got my headlight and mounted it last night. It works well for the 42.00 dollars I paid for it but you could easily out ride it at night. It will work to get you home in the dark but if I took a serious night ride I would take some extra lighting. I did end up just wiring it up so the high and low beams are on all the time with no switch. Thanks again for all the help. This is the one I went with. http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Dirt-Bike ... 5B&vxp=mtr
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

Bill1977 wrote:Well I got my headlight and mounted it last night. It works well for the 42.00 dollars I paid for it but you could easily out ride it at night. It will work to get you home in the dark but if I took a serious night ride I would take some extra lighting. I did end up just wiring it up so the high and low beams are on all the time with no switch. Thanks again for all the help. This is the one I went with. http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Dirt-Bike ... 5B&vxp=mtr
I put on the same unit for now. My stator doesn't supply enough power to run both high and low lamps so connected it to high beam only. The stator will get a rewind some day and I'll probably upgrade to some quality LED lamps, but for now this works and outshines my buddy's XR250 (but then I think an oil lantern would as well :lol: ).
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

IDRIDR wrote:
Bill1977 wrote:Well I got my headlight and mounted it last night. It works well for the 42.00 dollars I paid for it but you could easily out ride it at night. It will work to get you home in the dark but if I took a serious night ride I would take some extra lighting. I did end up just wiring it up so the high and low beams are on all the time with no switch. Thanks again for all the help. This is the one I went with. http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Dirt-Bike ... 5B&vxp=mtr
I put on the same unit for now. My stator doesn't supply enough power to run both high and low lamps so connected it to high beam only. The stator will get a rewind some day and I'll probably upgrade to some quality LED lamps, but for now this works and outshines my buddy's XR250 (but then I think an oil lantern would as well :lol: ).
slap a Cyclops or ADVMOnster LED in that housing and you'll be amazed at the output. The best output will be via smooth (capacitor or battery) DC circuit, but AC works too. The taillight won't dim it either ;-)