Trailtech vapor tach appears to read double of actual

Got questions? We got answers....
actmobmar
Supporting Member

Post by actmobmar »

Just put a trail tech vapor on my 00 kdx200, tach appears to read double of actual. Part throttle shows 10k rpm. I have it powered by wire that feeds headlite switch on handlebar, pickup wired directly to coil bullet connector, set to 2 pulse/revolution. Does same with headlite on. All other functions work. Thanks!
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

Did the same to me first time. Change your pulse setting till it looks right
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
actmobmar
Supporting Member

Post by actmobmar »

Tried it on .5 and 1 and made it worse
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Its because it's set up for a 4 stroke which fires half as often.
'00 KDX 220R
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Also make sure you have a resistor plug. Non resistor plugs drive them nuts.

I have my wire wrap around coil wire with pulse on 2 and BR8ES plug. Works perfect.
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

Seems to work with a KX125 coil with the wire stripped on the end and pushed in with the coil connector plug.
Don't remember what setting but one of the 3 worked.

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

actmobmar wrote:Just put a trail tech vapor on my 00 kdx200, tach appears to read double of actual. Part throttle shows 10k rpm. I have it powered by wire that feeds headlite switch on handlebar, pickup wired directly to coil bullet connector, set to 2 pulse/revolution. Does same with headlite on. All other functions work. Thanks!

I've had one on my sons bike for many years and the thing works great ,,,,, EXCEPT THE TACH ! Just like you said , I'd say it reads about double.

I've tried ALL the settings , all the sensor wire connections and talked the trail tech technical help untill they were sick of talking to me.

NOW ,years later, if you at their site , they show a new " improved " sensor wire . It has some resistor and shielded , ect. but does not come in the kit.

The other thing I've read but havn't tried is to relocate the ground wire back towards the seat and use a shielded wire for that also as it seems to
pick up the ignition pulse. Basically the tach part of the unit is too dam sensitive.
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
actmobmar
Supporting Member

Post by actmobmar »

I even put the ground outside the seat area to one of the radiator mount bolts, same thing. I am going to try the resistor plug next. I talked to trailtech, they wanted me to put a 9 volt battery somewhere on the bike to try and fix the problem. Nothing like advertising that it works on ac or DC sytems, albeit with a strategically placed 9v battery! I guess that is there answer instead of coming up with a proper fix..
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

A non resistor plug will raise hell with the trail tech. I installed one on my friends 82 kdx250. He had a standard plug in it. The tach was all screwed up and the speedo was bouncing around in neutral with engine rpm up to 274MPH. :shock: Installed a resistor plug and bingo! Works perfect now.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

s10gto wrote:A non resistor plug will raise hell with the trail tech. I installed one on my friends 82 kdx250. He had a standard plug in it. The tach was all screwed up and the speedo was bouncing around in neutral with engine rpm up to 274MPH. :shock: Installed a resistor plug and bingo! Works perfect now.
I'll admit that I never tried a resistor plug and they never suggested it.

Trail tech never commented about the tach resistor wire ???????? I know I saw that some where , maybe it was a resistor power wire to lower the voltage ?
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

I contacted trailtech with the issue I was having. If I remember correctly they wanted me to use a isolated battery source. I all ready was as the 82 is 6v. The resistor plug was a idea I got from reading people with snowmobiles blowing ignition box's due to non resistor plugs.
actmobmar
Supporting Member

Re: Trailtech vapor tach appears to read double of actual

Post by actmobmar »

Tried the resistor plug, same thing, rpm reads way higher then actual
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

I do use a small battery behind the front number plate. When I built the bike I took the lighting coil off for no particular reason other that it was not going to be used. Then with the trailteck I needed a battery for back lighting only. The internal battery which is just a large watch battery which will run it for about a year but you don't get backlighting with out external power. I can't see how it will make a diference if you do or don't power it as it will work either way.

Is the wire going past the coil or lead on the way to or from where it's connected to somehow pick up a double reading? Don't know try all the settings with out external power.

C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

Thats what Trail tech says ,, it's picking up a double reading.

Ours has 1/2" of sensor wire nylon tied to coil output wire and then shoots dirrectly away at a 90 degree angle not to
pick up any other signal and it still won't work correctly. I just set all the rpm warning lights to max so they don't come
on and use it for engine temp and mph . It would be nice for the money if it worked.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

Tioli wrote:I do use a small battery behind the front number plate. When I built the bike I took the lighting coil off for no particular reason other that it was not going to be used. Then with the trailteck I needed a battery for back lighting only. The internal battery which is just a large watch battery which will run it for about a year but you don't get backlighting with out external power. I can't see how it will make a diference if you do or don't power it as it will work either way.

Is the wire going past the coil or lead on the way to or from where it's connected to somehow pick up a double reading? Don't know try all the settings with out external power.

Does your tach work correctly ?
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

Yes just fine with or with out external power. I will have a look tomorrow what setting it is as its 11:30 pm hear.

Where I connected it is at the singal wire plug from the coil. Fead it under the plastic and pressed in when you connect the coil to the wire from the wiring harnes. The plug is the full length away to the left side so is know where near the coil or plug lead if that makes a diference?

6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

If you are powering it with an AC circuit, you most likely are seeing the pulse reading from that circuit. So now you have the AC reading from the lighting coil AND the ignition coil, so a little more than double.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

My settings are:
Program Pulses per Revolution Step 1 (PPR) is 2
Program Pulses per Revolution Step 2 (PPR) is 0000
Step 3 will not come up as Step 2 is 0000 (default)

C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

6 Riders wrote:If you are powering it with an AC circuit, you most likely are seeing the pulse reading from that circuit. So now you have the AC reading from the lighting coil AND the ignition coil, so a little more than double.

So please explain as we're picking up the signal from the plug wire but your talking about power to the actual unit ?

Does trail tech think it will work with a battery or straight DC source ?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

C George wrote:
6 Riders wrote:If you are powering it with an AC circuit, you most likely are seeing the pulse reading from that circuit. So now you have the AC reading from the lighting coil AND the ignition coil, so a little more than double.

So please explain as we're picking up the signal from the plug wire but your talking about power to the actual unit ?

Does trail tech think it will work with a battery or straight DC source ?
I know that it works with a battery, I hooked mine up to a Tusk enduro kit and it worked fine, it also worked fine when not plugged into the AC power (internal battery only). When I had mine hooked up to the AC it doubled the RPMS (actually something like 2.3 times). That;s where I figure it was picking up both the signals.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type