Flywheel weight.

Got questions? We got answers....
cornishwrecker220

Flywheel weight.

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Anyone out there with a `breathed` on 200 or 220 running a flywheel weight?

I love the way my 220 hauls since having my motor worked upon, but I often wondered what it would perform like with a flywheel weight installed.
I ride mostly tight, rocky single track with a few climbs thrown in but sometimes, especially when tired I find things can get out of hand quite quickly if you let your guard down ! ( I`m the wrong side of 40 ! )
So if there`s anyone out there with one fitted to their DX, who rides similar trails to me then I would like to hear your thoughts on how it performs. :grin:
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Flywheel weight.

Post by G22inSC »

I could be wrong, but I always thought the standard, factory flywheel was the weight of aftermarket weighted flywheels people put on MX bikes for stalling and traction. Is this false?
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I just took mine off. I have 2 KDX 200s, one is a 93, the other a 95. The 93 didn't have the FWW on it, the 95 did. My opinion is as follows; For most riders they are nice, they help keep the motor from winding up so fast that you can feel out of control. It didn't smooth out the power as much as made the time it took to get to full power longer. If you need, or want, to be able to crack the throttle and make the bike move in a hurry, such as for jumping, then a FWW weight isn't a good idea at all. Otherwise, they are nice. I'd have left mine on, but I have been racing harescrambles and need the power to come on ASAP. So off it came...
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I had another '89 KDX with similar mods right alongside my main '89, but this one had a huge Moose FWW on it. Everything 6 Riders stated is correct, but it did make the bike pull more like a 4 stroke, more linear and tractable. that could also be because the FWW was gigantic! that coupled with the KIPS powervalve system and youve pretty much eliminated any snap on this bike
cornishwrecker220

Flywheel weight.

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

So I managed to fit my flywheel weight today on my `modded` 220 & here are my thoughts....

In tight, wooded, hilly areas when using the first 3 gears the flywheel weight certainly helps with traction by not making my bike rev as sharp, it hasn't taken away any power as such, just made things smoother for longer...I found I can hold a gear longer which is useful at times as I`m not `dancing` on the gear lever as much....on tricky, rocky down hill sections I would sometimes stall my bike but with the flywheel weight now I don't...there`s enough weight added to keep the crank rotating before the revs fall away & you stall ! .. now it leaves you with enough time to pull the clutch in so you don't.
After my 3 hour ride I didn't seem as fatigued either & out on my trails the bike seemed to behave in a more friendly manner..
The top end performance never suffered, my bike would still haul if I wanted it to, & it still kept up with my friends on their 4 smokes ...its the bottom end that saw the real benefit ,it gave my 220 a very useful helping hand down low just where I needed it , so like me ( over 40 ! ) if you have a modded 220 & ride technical, woody trails then a flywheel weight just may be for you......I think I`ll keep it on for a while longer. :grin:
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Flywheel weight.

Post by ohgood »

it's a big aid to traction in the tight stuff, by smoothing out the throttle response. even with taller 15-47 gearing the bike doesn't try to break loose with a trials tire, it just spools up predicably and smoothly.

I'm keeping the weight, I love it