Wiseco Forged clutch basket.

Got questions? We got answers....
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I`ve just purchased a new Wiseco clutch basket for my 220 & wondered if anyone on here has installed one?

I noticed that compared to my OE basket the wiseco doesn't have the extra notch`s on top of the `fingers` where you would install the final/last clutch plate like you do on the OE item ?
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Doesn't matter. The last plate does not have to be offset.
'00 KDX 220R
cornishwrecker220

Ok, fitted my new Wiseco clutch basket over the weekend so thought I would share my thoughts...

First things first, this product is well made & comes with new Loctited bolts & tool for fitting, the basket is forged alloy & VERY light compared to the OE Kawasaki item....once everything was stripped off my old basket & fitted to the new I also noticed just how good the fit was with the clutch fingers in the basket....hardly any slop ( there was plenty in my old basket but then that was pretty shot )...the only problem I had was actually using my clutch holding tool on the basket to allow me to tighten down the clutch hub nut, as there just wasn't any extra meat for it to lock into......so I used my flywheel holding tool on the flywheel instead & job done.
On start up I noticed my RPM had gone up by around 500rpm, probably due to the new clutch not being as heavy as the old..also when you blipped the throttle the RPMs seemed to be quicker too....out on the trail the clutch action was good & smooth with no more vibes coming from my clutch side...again due to a new basket !
Only downside was it did make my bike more prone to stalling in the technical stuff probably due to the light weight of the basket & slight lack of inertia . ( I have a flywheel weight that I will try out )

Over all impressions.....an excellent aftermarket product ! :grin:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Wiseco Forged clutch basket.

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
cornishwrecker220

You are welcome.....

Even the newest kdx has to be 10 years old now so chances are there are going to be a lot of worn baskets in these bikes...!
Sure you can file down the ridges but this is only a temporary fix as sooner or later it'll still need replacing.
My kdx I've owned now for several years & I intend to hold onto it for as long as I can ....it's certainly seen a lot of action in my ownership....an original clutch basket from Kawasaki is mega money so the wiseco item seemed a good buy, to my knowledge I believe there are only 3 companies that make them....wiseco, mitaka & prox...I think there is one other but the name escapes me.....

I wish companies would see the kdx for what it is & make many more aftermarket products for them . :grin: