Brake Lights?

Got questions? We got answers....
asmed12345

Brake Lights?

Post by asmed12345 »

I've had a plate on my bike for about two years now with the bike completely stock. I think it's time for a brake light. Can I just get a brake wire and run it from the brake cylinder to the stock tail light? If so, what's the best one/place to get ir? Thanks!
'96 XR 100 ''02 KDX 200
Marylander

Brake Lights?

Post by Marylander »

You need a switch, e.g., http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/lighting/ ... witch.html

Note that I don't have experience with that specific switch just throwing it out there as an example.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Brake Lights?

Post by pumpguy »

In addition to at least one brake light switch (some states require switches for front and rear brakes), you need enough lighting coil output, or some other scheme, to operate the brake light. Both mechanical and hydraulic switches are available.

One scheme is to wire a resistor in the normal rear light circuit, then wire a bypass through the brake light switch(es) to feed normal higher current when you operate the brakes. With the resistor bypassed, the light will be brighter.

LED tail light bulbs don't require as much current as standard incandescent types, but you have to be selective here because some LEDs don't operate well on AC current, and can be directional, like a flashlight, in where they throw their light.

If you are wanting to stay with stock AC system and use conventional incandescent tail light bulbs, you need to upgrade your standard 40 watt lighting coil to 85 watts or so. There is much here on this site about re-winding your existing coil, or you can just buy an 85 watt coil from Ricky Stator.

Let us know how you went about adding a stop light to your bike, and how it worked out.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Brake Lights?

Post by 6 Riders »

Just to ad to other comments....You'll also need an 1157 type socket for the tail light. Yes, the KDX comes with a 2 way (tail and brake light) bulb....BUT....the socket that the bulb plugs into is still a 1 way (just tail light). Same is true for the headlight...KDX comes stock with a 2 way bulb, but the socket is a single throw socket....
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type