Same ratio different oil Synthetic vs Semi Synthetic

Got questions? We got answers....
kiohio
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by kiohio »

The previous owner told me they ran 36:1 (I'm guessing he meant 32:1)
He had not ridden it in quite a while. He used Yamalube 2-R hich is semi-synthetic.
Well while snooping around my girlfriends garage I found a new bottle of Amsoil Dominator.
I'm the only one with a 2 stroke now, can I use this or is it better to just stick with the Yamalube?
I will go back to Yamalube after it's gone.
If I do use up the Dominator, can I mix it at 32:1 or do I have to use the 50:1 that Amsoil says to use?

Thank you,
KO
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Re: Same ratio different oil Synthetic vs Semi Synthetic

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

Great question and although this question could have 20 plus different responses, I used to be an amsoil dealer and had only used amsoil in my super late model and micro sprint motors. When I started racing the micro sprints I used only amsoil domonator and long story short there is a reason I'm not an amsoil dealer/distributor anymore. There may not be any issue with running it in the old 2 stroke but after my experience with domonator series oils from amsoil all I can say is never again. I use yamalube 2R and it's always held up very well in my friends bike (heavy and extreme riding) and so far in mine done pretty good (medium riding mostly trails in central Florida) also don't know much about belray oil but I hear it's less expensive than yamalube but extremely similar. Spend some time researching the few types of oil and compare them, learn what each one has to offer in what scenarios and then try two or three different types and see what you like using. From what I've learned 32:1 isn't bad 40:1 may be better and 50:1 May be too rich but again it's all trial and error. Good luck hope I've helped at least a little. Also remember it's a kdx its a tough beast but it's your beast be careful of what "crap" you use in it
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

I agree with Sgt. harper that oils have so many opinions.

I'd use the Dominator at 32:1 and not think twice. The previous owner could have been correct saying 36:1 , thats a fairly common mix ratio.

There's no concern going back and forth between synthetic and conventional ,,,,, just as long as Castor is not in the mix.

Amazing how the human brain loves a certain color bottle. :supz:
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I used Dominator exclusively for years. Only reason I don't use it anymore is that it's no longer available in my area. I can get yamalube locally, so have been using that. No problems with either one, and I mix 40:1. I would not recommend 50:1 for anything more than casual putting around.
kiohio
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by kiohio »

Cool I'll use it up then go back to Yamalube 2-R.
Thank you,
KO
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

Nothing wrong with Dominator, it's just meant for motor's that are run wide open all the time. It protects really well. Downside is it gum's up your powervalve. If you're racing then that's fine because you're tearing down the motor more often. For trail riding the Amsoil interceptor is great.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

does anyone have a handle on how the newer bikes get by with 80:1 ratios?
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Here's a pretty good video on 2T oil by Slavens Racing:
CAL-kawi

Post by CAL-kawi »

Get by on 80-1? Maybe for a while. I think it's the modern 4 stroke's tendancy to self destruct that gives manufactures an option to still produce "environmentally viable" new 2 strokes, by simply cutting the oil use. If a modern offroad 2T gets 50 hours on a top end, it doesn't look all that bad compared to a modern 4T. I think guys that ride hard know better, and change their ratios to 30-50 range. And the trail riders could probably get close to 200 hours instead of 50. All just theory, but I think we can thank these time bomb 4T for our 2Ts remaining an option. (And to be fair, even at 30-1 the 2 strokes are not really any worse environmentally than the modern 4's, when you factor in how often they need to change oil and filters.)
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

CAL-kawi wrote:Get by on 80-1? Maybe for a while. I think it's the modern 4 stroke's tendancy to self destruct that gives manufactures an option to still produce "environmentally viable" new 2 strokes, by simply cutting the oil use. If a modern offroad 2T gets 50 hours on a top end, it doesn't look all that bad compared to a modern 4T. I think guys that ride hard know better, and change their ratios to 30-50 range. And the trail riders could probably get close to 200 hours instead of 50. All just theory, but I think we can thank these time bomb 4T for our 2Ts remaining an option. (And to be fair, even at 30-1 the 2 strokes are not really any worse environmentally than the modern 4's, when you factor in how often they need to change oil and filters.)
Well said ,, it's amazing how any engine will run on such little oil , but as you said , not for long.
I've seen automobiles come in for service and drain less than 2qts out of a 5qt system.

The whole 4 stroke thing in this country is a joke. I watched a race from Belgium and the majority
of bikes were 2 strokes.
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
kiohio
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by kiohio »

Most of the "Enviromental Clensing" in combustion this country is going thru is BS.

KO
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

Two strokes seem to be making a comeback with all the European bikes hear in Australia.
On a side note I have been observing your U.S. Issue with ethanol. Ethanol was introduced a few years back but now seems to have disappeared at least in my state. LPG is quite popular which is a clean burn for those that want it or convert.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9