fork rebuilding questions

Got questions? We got answers....
farmboy87

fork rebuilding questions

Post by farmboy87 »

Hey guys, I'm rebuilding the forks. Any clutter in a fluid weight and how much..i weigh 195lbs.. Thanks
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: fork rebuilding questions

Post by Sullyfam »

Fork weight only impacts rebound and won't compensate for incorrect fork springs. If you have the stock springs then I would consider focusing on correcting that as they are for 140lb rider I believe.

However, you asked and many use 7.5 to 10 weight. You can also use less air gap, but that really only effects bottoming resistance And not much else. I forget the actual amount of oil in each fork (190ml maybe?), but someone here will know and chime in I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

When i had the stock forks i used 10wt golden spectro
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
farmboy87

Post by farmboy87 »

Well I've put 5 weight in them... I've had always used that weight on my 450 . Different forks of course. Hmm.... It felt stuff as in good before they busted . Not squishy... Just pretty right. So stiffness comes from the thickness of the oil then is that what your saying on these forks because I noticed there was no adjusters
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

There are compression adjustment screws on the bottom of the forks. Did you do the shim stack mod when they were apart?
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Oil wt will effect rebound
+1 on the shim stack mod
And definitely order the correct springs for your weight if you not planning on doing a fork conversion
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I use ATF in my forks, which is around 7.5wt. standard oil level 140 +/- 2mm, adjustable range 110-170mm, per the service manual
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Post 9 in this thread. I will be the one to have to ask.

WHICH BIKE??????????????????????????????????????????/
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128