Tool kits

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Tool kits

Post by Ryan »

well, i think im gonna need a tool kit. My dad has one and his is missing a few things and his tools are everywere, due to the fact that we are working on 3 bikes and a tractor. Well i am starting to put my kdx back together and im getting a honda this coming weekend. I didnt think i would get another bike so i didnt get a tool kit. But now that i got the honda and christmas is coming i think im gonna ask for one or buy one with my own money. Anyway do you guys have any reccomendations? Brands? how many tools should i look for in a kit?
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I've got a lot of craftsman stuff, mostly for the gaurantee and I used to travel a lot. You can find a sears store almost anywhere. I would suggest you look for a decent set that has 6 point socket instead of 12 pt. They hold the bolt head a lot more securely. Get good screwdrivers, ones with hardened heads. This is one area I think craftsman sucks in. You might also look at Lowes if they have one near you. I think some of their Cobalt line is decent. If you have tons of money Snap-on and MAC make some nice tools. You can call your local rep and tell him what you need. If you don't have a torque wrench, you really should get one (or really 2) but your dad probably already has them. Also get yourself a nice 8mm nut driver. Very handy on a modern dirt bike.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Oh, and I forgot to say, I picked up a metric set of Husky impact sockets at home depot. They were pretty cheap and seem plenty strong. I use them on my non-impact wrenches too now.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i was looking at a set of husky tools for that went for $150 on ebay brandy new. At home depot they are $350. I knew i should have bought them. Cause i tried to work on my bike right now and i cant find any tools!!! i am going to buy myself a really nice set. I was looking at craftsman cause they are nice, and like you said they have the warrenty as well as husky. Did you buy any specific craftsman set or no??
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

No, I started buying tools when I was a kid one at a time with money I earned from cutting grass and stuff. I pretty quickly learned to buy decent stuff the first time, not cheap stuff that you have to replace soon. My craftsman stuff was all individual purchases, or a set of sockets, that type of thing. The kits might be a good value as long as you aren't buying a ton of extra crap you don't need. I would get a 1/2" and 3/8" ratchet set, a breaker bar as long as your tool box will allow, good needle nose pliers, channel locks, Vise Grips, good screw drivers, 5mm and 6mm allen head sockets, a set of allen wrenches, stuff like that. get a good tool box that's water tight on the base, so if your truck gets a little water in the bed your tools stay dry.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i was thinking something like this. Do you think this is a good deal for working on my bike? and probably my car in like 2 years?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product. ... =Tool+Sets
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I don't like all the 12 pt sockets. I seldom (ok, never) need a deep socket working on a dirt bike. I don't like the box for taking out to the riding area. Other than that, seems nice.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

ok so i guess i need to look for a kit with 6 point sockets and i dont need the deep ones.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

>|<>QBB<
kdx220freak wrote:ok so i guess i need to look for a kit with 6 point sockets and i dont need the deep ones.
Start simple and with quality tools. It's worth paying more for ratchets, sockets and wrenches. Get smaller sets with only what you need and keep buying eactly what you need for a few years.
I need hex keys always.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

k-mart is now affilieated with Sears and sell Craftsman tools. To work on your bike, you can get all the tools you need to fit into a fanny pack; meaning, that you don't need many tools at all for working on a dirtbike. Now, there are some tools that make the job easier than those carried in your fanny pack, just not necessary. For example, I really like my T handle metric sockets. Makes fast work of removing seat, plastics, tank, etc.

If I were'nt so tired from riding my bike today, I'd go get my fanny pack and open it up, take some photos and post an inventory of tools.

BTW, Tools are fun. They are fun to buy and use. They are fun to store, sort and wipe down. Take good care of your tools and always put them away proper and they will be there for you when you need them. Look in my gallary and you just might see a photo or two in the background of my tool chest. It's a thing of beauty to me.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!