Here we go...........again

Got questions? We got answers....

Re: Here we go...........again

Postby 6 Riders » 03:48 pm Sep 12 2015

Great picture!
The black screw is your idle screw.
I see the throttle cable boot (on top of the carb) is cracked. You NEED to replace that cable...TRUST ME! I can't tell by the picture, but double check the throttle cable routing as well. If the gaskets on the reed block are compromised in any way, they will leak air and must be replaced before worrying about jetting.
There is a possibility that the pilot jet is bad. Go ahead and replace the pilot with the old one and see if the bike runs. If it does, make sure everything else is repaired/replaced as needed and then follow the jetting guide.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.

masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.

*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
User avatar
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 2096
Images: 4
Joined: 12:58 pm May 01 2013
Location: Washington
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: Here we go...........again

Postby Sgt.harper48 » 04:45 pm Sep 12 2015

It is a brand new jet though but I will definitely put the old pilot back in and see and yes that boot is cracked and when you say trust me I take it you had a bad experience with this issue ? And I figured out that tapatalk lets me attach photos and videos much easier than on the forum online from my iPhone 6 and the gasket isn't really compromised it just looks old but still decent I figured I'd change it regardless though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 63
Joined: 03:55 pm Aug 19 2015
Location: Sanford, FL
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Here we go...........again

Postby Sgt.harper48 » 04:46 pm Sep 12 2015

Also of the idle screw is all the way in where does it need to be as a starting point ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 63
Joined: 03:55 pm Aug 19 2015
Location: Sanford, FL
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Here we go...........again

Postby ohgood » 05:14 am Sep 13 2015

Sgt.harper48 wrote:bike ran great few days ago. Today drained tank flushed it. Dried it out completely. Ran 3 gallons of 87 thru it to be very thorough (recycled into lawn mower gas can), put new fuel line on and then I mixed 32:1 with 90 octane non-ethanol and yamalube 2R oil. Bike doesn't idle on its own now even with choke and zero response with 1/4 throttle or less.......so with that being said other than going up a size on the pilot jet what else do I need to look at ? Also noticed the popcorn sound in the gnarly pipe and some decel Pop. About ready to commit the sin of taking it to the kawi dealer and let them hack at it this time. Would be nice to know someone in my area for stuff like this but nada so far.



put a fuel filter on it. you'll get more consistant running, and any trash that makes it into the lines will stop there instead of clogging the pilot or even more wowzers, the main. when will it clog ? 30 seconds from the most epic ride ever. while your buddies are waiting, and the sheriff is creeping closer. happens every time.


you likely broke loose some corn from the ethanol crap in the tank and plugged up stuff. stay rich, never lean. here comes fall, time to up the sizes a little for the cooler weather :)
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
 
Posts: 914
Images: 3
Joined: 10:00 am Jan 04 2014
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Here we go...........again

Postby Sgt.harper48 » 05:25 pm Sep 13 2015

ohgood wrote:
Sgt.harper48 wrote:bike ran great few days ago. Today drained tank flushed it. Dried it out completely. Ran 3 gallons of 87 thru it to be very thorough (recycled into lawn mower gas can), put new fuel line on and then I mixed 32:1 with 90 octane non-ethanol and yamalube 2R oil. Bike doesn't idle on its own now even with choke and zero response with 1/4 throttle or less.......so with that being said other than going up a size on the pilot jet what else do I need to look at ? Also noticed the popcorn sound in the gnarly pipe and some decel Pop. About ready to commit the sin of taking it to the kawi dealer and let them hack at it this time. Would be nice to know someone in my area for stuff like this but nada so far.



put a fuel filter on it. you'll get more consistant running, and any trash that makes it into the lines will stop there instead of clogging the pilot or even more wowzers, the main. when will it clog ? 30 seconds from the most epic ride ever. while your buddies are waiting, and the sheriff is creeping closer. happens every time.


you likely broke loose some corn from the ethanol crap in the tank and plugged up stuff. stay rich, never lean. here comes fall, time to up the sizes a little for the cooler weather :)

Got it !!! Also the examples of when it will clog are great ! I laughed hard at the sheriff creeping closer because I work for the sheriff, hence my username lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 63
Joined: 03:55 pm Aug 19 2015
Location: Sanford, FL
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Here we go...........again

Postby Sgt.harper48 » 05:21 pm Sep 14 2015

Put both the 160 main and 48 pilot back in after recleaning the carb due to all the lovely green I found inside. Put an inline filter on. Took it out to the front yard fired her up runs much better on idle now. Will take her out tomorrow and plug chop to see where I'm at I suppose.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 63
Joined: 03:55 pm Aug 19 2015
Location: Sanford, FL
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Here we go...........again

Postby bws2 » 10:22 pm Oct 11 2015

Sgt.harper48 wrote:Double checked both sides of carb boots. Snugged everything up. Probably wouldn't hurt to get a new reed valve gasket soon. Also the black plastic screw with the spring on it comes into question. Right now I have it screwed in to almost snug. From this point where should it be set (turns out?) to start off ? Image

6 Riders wrote:Great picture!
The black screw is your idle screw.
I see the throttle cable boot (on top of the carb) is cracked. You NEED to replace that cable...TRUST ME! I can't tell by the picture, but double check the throttle cable routing as well. If the gaskets on the reed block are compromised in any way, they will leak air and must be replaced before worrying about jetting.
There is a possibility that the pilot jet is bad. Go ahead and replace the pilot with the old one and see if the bike runs. If it does, make sure everything else is repaired/replaced as needed and then follow the jetting guide.


I have a throttle cable boot that is torn just like the one pictured. Inside the boot is a little metal tube (houseing the cable) that makes a 45 degree turn off the top of the carb. My question is can I just put some electrical tape on the boot to try to repair it or do I need to replace the whole cable?
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 137
Joined: 09:30 pm Mar 15 2015
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Here we go...........again

Postby 6 Riders » 11:42 am Oct 12 2015

You can glue/tape it shut if you like. Here's the deal.....If a tiny drop of water gets into the top of the carb, it causes the slide to hang when you hit WOT. This could be a very bad experience for you and, more importantly, the bike :lol: ......I was lucky when it happened to me and was able to get the bike shut down just before bailing off of it. But I was on a very wide, straight, whooped section of trail. If I was in tight turning trails, I would have been DONE. When I got home, I ordered a new throttle cable RIGHT AWAY>
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.

masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.

*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
User avatar
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 2096
Images: 4
Joined: 12:58 pm May 01 2013
Location: Washington
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: Here we go...........again

Postby Silverfox » 04:28 pm Oct 12 2015

If your idle screw is all the way in I don't think the bike will idle.
Silverfox
Member
 
Posts: 52
Joined: 07:17 pm Nov 25 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Here we go...........again

Postby bws2 » 08:43 pm Oct 12 2015

6 Riders wrote:You can glue/tape it shut if you like. Here's the deal.....If a tiny drop of water gets into the top of the carb, it causes the slide to hang when you hit WOT. This could be a very bad experience for you and, more importantly, the bike :lol: ......I was lucky when it happened to me and was able to get the bike shut down just before bailing off of it. But I was on a very wide, straight, whooped section of trail. If I was in tight turning trails, I would have been DONE. When I got home, I ordered a new throttle cable RIGHT AWAY>


Thank you 6 Riders. You are always a voice of reason. I don't want anything to do with the throttle hanging wide open. I'll definitely replace the cable with a new OEM one.
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 137
Joined: 09:30 pm Mar 15 2015
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Here we go...........again

Postby 6 Riders » 09:14 pm Oct 12 2015

bws2 wrote:
6 Riders wrote:You can glue/tape it shut if you like. Here's the deal.....If a tiny drop of water gets into the top of the carb, it causes the slide to hang when you hit WOT. This could be a very bad experience for you and, more importantly, the bike :lol: ......I was lucky when it happened to me and was able to get the bike shut down just before bailing off of it. But I was on a very wide, straight, whooped section of trail. If I was in tight turning trails, I would have been DONE. When I got home, I ordered a new throttle cable RIGHT AWAY>


Thank you 6 Riders. You are always a voice of reason. I don't want anything to do with the throttle hanging wide open. I'll definitely replace the cable with a new OEM one.

Just hate to see people get hurt on bikes :partyman:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.

masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.

*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
User avatar
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 2096
Images: 4
Joined: 12:58 pm May 01 2013
Location: Washington
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: Here we go...........again

Postby The Duck of Deseret » 06:05 am Oct 14 2015

I've read somewhere that No toil filter oil was a problem for some? But I don't have first hand info on why or what? All else fails ----try something else and see what results?
The Duck of Deseret
Member
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 07:22 am Aug 22 2015
Location: South Eastern Utah
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Previous

Return to KDX General Q&A

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: doakley and 8 guests