Here we go...........again

Got questions? We got answers....
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

bike ran great few days ago. Today drained tank flushed it. Dried it out completely. Ran 3 gallons of 87 thru it to be very thorough (recycled into lawn mower gas can), put new fuel line on and then I mixed 32:1 with 90 octane non-ethanol and yamalube 2R oil. Bike doesn't idle on its own now even with choke and zero response with 1/4 throttle or less.......so with that being said other than going up a size on the pilot jet what else do I need to look at ? Also noticed the popcorn sound in the gnarly pipe and some decel Pop. About ready to commit the sin of taking it to the kawi dealer and let them hack at it this time. Would be nice to know someone in my area for stuff like this but nada so far.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Here we go...........again

Post by 6 Riders »

What all have you done besides change the gas?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

Went from 160 main and 48 pilot to 155 main and 45 pilot. New float bowl gasket, new stock reeds like it had. New BR8ES, have an iridium brand new ready to put in if needed. Took off air box snorkel. New no toil filter. And when I say zero response on 1/4 throttle or less I meant while in a forward motion so it takes forever to accelerate in first gear and it levels off very low in the rpm range and I switch to second and crack it open and then after a second or so it hits and takes off like a champ but as soon as I let off and it idles down it does. Restarts first kick with some throttle though.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

It lean, but why? Did you take the snorkel off after the rejet? Maybe your needle and/or slide is sticking? An airleak somewhere, like around the reed block? Also, are you 100% that you have the reeds un correctly?
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Also, take the breather tube off the gas cap and try running it.
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

Because fmf suggested to remove the snorkel and to switch to those jets. And it did the same with the other jets just nowhere near as bad and yes reeds are in correctly. One corner is round one is squared if someone has a picture to show how they should look installed that'd be great and no air leaks that I can find. And was told better to be a hair lean than rather rich but idk crap apparently and its ticking me off. I'm almost ready to get an RB Air striker carb because I'm almost positive my problem lies in the carb somewhere and at least then I'll have one ready to go right out of the box for the most part
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

I would much rather be a tad rich than a hair lean. Rich means loss of a little power or more silencer packing replacements and plugs, etc. Little lean, well I don't want to think about what could happen when air temps really drop and then maybe you're a lot lean. $$$$$$! I would take a little rich all day every day compared to lean on a two stroke. Lean will run like it's on steroids right up to the point it no longer runs. Then you have major problems.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

I'm thinking about taking the 45 pilot out and putting the 48 back in and I'm in central Florida it's still in the 80s and 90s until November and December lol. But I know what you mean I definitely dont want problems from being lean. If it works out putting the 48 back in should I take the 155 main jet out and stick the 160 back in ? It's stock jetting that way and it'll be stock rich again lol also I am at sea level everywhere here too if it helps any
kashola
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by kashola »

Where's your fuel mixture screw set?
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

Would that be the brass screw on the air box side of the carb ? If so I had it at 1.5 turns out
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

Also should I pull the air box lid off even though I pulled the snorkel out already ?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Leave the lid. You made 2 changes after jetting the bike. Go back to those. Put your old (clean) air filter on and put the snorkel back on. See how it responds after that. If there is still no difference, then go back to the carb or fuel line, of course remove the snorkel before you do any jetting.
I would also recommend following the jetting guide instead of "just guessing".
chippy

Post by chippy »

Sounds like a plugged pilot circuit to me. I would pull the carb and go through it thoroughly. Clean the jets and the passages with carb cleaner and compressed air. Double check the float level and try it again. That is the best place to start. Easy to do as well ;^)
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

What clip is the needle on?
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

Clip in 3rd position.
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

By the way I threw away the old air filter like a week ago. And the last changes I made were the jets not filter and snorkel. And the old filter was in terrible shape.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Sgt.harper48 wrote:By the way I threw away the old air filter like a week ago. And the last changes I made were the jets not filter and snorkel. And the old filter was in terrible shape.
OK, then make sure the carb boot is sealed properly at both ends, if that is good to go, then it's time to look at fuel delivery.
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

Ok I never checked those so hopefully that will do the trick !! Thanks 6riders !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

Side note I haven't done a bike profile yet because it's going to display before and after photos but I did add a picture of the bike I took yesterday as my avatar.

Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

Double checked both sides of carb boots. Snugged everything up. Probably wouldn't hurt to get a new reed valve gasket soon. Also the black plastic screw with the spring on it comes into question. Right now I have it screwed in to almost snug. From this point where should it be set (turns out?) to start off ? Image