float bowl gasket doesn't fit

Got questions? We got answers....
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bws2 »

I've got a 2001 KDX200. I pulled the carb today to check the float level.

This is the first time I've had the carb apart.

Now I'm trying to reassemble and having problems getting the float bowl gasket to fit in the groove around the bowl (I'm assuming it should fit down in the groove), it seems too big and doesn't sit in there quite right.

What am I doing wrong?
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Re: float bowl gasket doesn't fit

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

If it's an old one spend 4 bucks and get a new float bowl o ring.
KDXrider1989

Re: float bowl gasket doesn't fit

Post by KDXrider1989 »

chances are it stretched upon removal, might as well look into replacing every gasket/o-ring in the carb while you're at it
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

Although changing it out for a new one is probably the best plan, if you need to get it back together now I've had luck laying the o-ring out in the sun for a while. The gasoline causes the o-ring to swell and get bigger which is why you're having trouble. The sun can help flash off the gas and return the o-ring to normal size.
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bws2 »

TheRadBaron wrote:Although changing it out for a new one is probably the best plan, if you need to get it back together now I've had luck laying the o-ring out in the sun for a while. The gasoline causes the o-ring to swell and get bigger which is why you're having trouble. The sun can help flash off the gas and return the o-ring to normal size.
Looked at the gasket today and it appeared to have shrunk after sitting a week. I was able to get it to fit.

I'll probably order a new one to have on hand if this one gives me problems. Thanks for your help with this.