Kdx E series frame modification

Got questions? We got answers....
Railinandnailin

Post by Railinandnailin »

Hi I have a 92 kdx 200. I would like to weld an addition to the rear of the frame to come further back on each side and join with a cross member. The purpose being to provide strength and possibly mount a rack on the back. My 2001 kdx has a section like this and I could probably recreate it for this bike. Do you think this is a good idea?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Kdx E series frame modification

Post by Julien D »

Sure, why not? If you need a rack on the back of the bike, do it.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Railinandnailin wrote:Hi I have a 92 kdx 200. I would like to weld an addition to the rear of the frame to come further back on each side and join with a cross member. The purpose being to provide strength and possibly mount a rack on the back. My 2001 kdx has a section like this and I could probably recreate it for this bike. Do you think this is a good idea?
Sounds (reads) to me like someone cut off the stock one. Probably looped the bike out and bent it up bad enough to have to chop it off.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Railinandnailin wrote:Hi I have a 92 kdx 200. I would like to weld an addition to the rear of the frame to come further back on each side and join with a cross member. The purpose being to provide strength and possibly mount a rack on the back. My 2001 kdx has a section like this and I could probably recreate it for this bike. Do you think this is a good idea?

yes, do it. just make sure it's not stronger than the rest of the frame, so the next time you loop it the fee won't suffer.

are you dual sporting the bike? camping ?
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

I'm also looking to add some reinforcement to the rear section of the frame of my '89 for a small rack. If you get to it before me I'd love to see what you come up with. I'll post my results when I get done but it's a ways down my priorities list.