exhaust/silencer questions

Got questions? We got answers....
kaw814

exhaust/silencer questions

Post by kaw814 »

Hey guys, strange situation ive encountered. I have an FMF Gnarly pite and Turbinecore silencer combo on an 02kdx220. Im missing the metal ring (header?) that bolts onto the front of the cylinder and connects the pipe. I cant seem to find a replacement, there isnt a listing or pic of it in any manuals or parts lists from dealers. Any suggestions as to where i can find this piece? Pls bear in mind, ive been away from wrenching for 20 yrs and this was a complete rebuild from the frame up. Its been alot of trial and error, mostly error. Ive got excellent comp. and a real nice spark. New oem crank, plated, cylinder, fresh top end, aftermarket hubs/rims, and rebuilt suspension. Alot of $ and time went into it, i dont want to run it until its 100%
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: exhaust/silencer questions

Post by KDXohio »

Are not sure i completely follow but i think you mean like on a 4 stroke the colar on the exhaust header that bolts to the head ?

These engines do not have that they use 2 springs to hold the pipe in the exhaust port

Sorry if i misunderstood the question
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

heres a picture i could find on google if I were at home I put up a picture of mine how its mounted hope this helps!

https://www.google.com/search?q=expansi ... M5gnVwM%3A
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
kaw814

Post by kaw814 »

thx for responding kdxohio....if possible, can u send a pic of how yours is mounted when u get a chance. If you look at a top end gasket kit for the 02 220 youll see one round shaped gasket(?) with tabs and holes for the screws to go through. Its been apart for so long i cant remember exactly what im looking for. I think the collar you described on strokes that bolts to the cylinder is what i need..its strange because there r threaded holes on the jug but it doesnt show up in any manuals or dealer parts lists...thx for the help
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Not sure where you are located, as you haven't filled it in for your profile. If that is an overseas SR model, it would use that flange that bolts to the jug. The US models all use springs.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Julien D wrote:Not sure where you are located, as you haven't filled it in for your profile. If that is an overseas SR model, it would use that flange that bolts to the jug. The US models all use springs.
I didnt know that.

Always learning new things on here about these bikes
kaw814

Post by kaw814 »

hello julien. thanks for the info. i wasnt aware of the differences in the different models. I have the R model, so at least i know what to ask for. As far as the profile, i couldnt figure out how to update it. Also, how can i attach a pic? Ive been involved in dirt biking on and off for 35 yrs. I'd like to show it off a little, plus its easier to show pics rather than describe questions or problems
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

You have to upload them to a site like photobucket them copy the direct link and [img]paste%20the%20link%20inbetween%20these[/img]
kaw814

Post by kaw814 »

im a mental midget when it comes to computers, sharing pics, etc. Ive got the pic uploaded on photobucket but idk how to get it posted here...no clue. It looks good
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Click on the picture then click the chain link looking button 4 links will come up copy the one that says direct and paste it between [img]HERE[/img]
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

220R should not have the flange on the pipe. From photobucket open up the photo you want to post. To the right you will see "share links" Use the "direct" image, paste the link here in your post, and then highlight it and click the "Img" button. You need to be using the full editor, not quick reply. If you're using quick reply, you can put IMG tags around the link, like so... [ IMG ] youricturelink [ /IMG ] . No spaces though! :)
kaw814

Post by kaw814 »

Thx Julien.....figured out how to get a pic up. 20 yrs ago you had to get film developed, then mail pics, now you push a few buttons. As far as the model, i may very well have the SR model. I live in the USA, and the bike itself was a craigslist special. Craigslist surprise is a more appropriate term. The frame is a 98, motor a 2002, swingarm and linkage is from an 01 i believe. I noticed that though part #'s match throughout the years the frames have very subtle differences. A few of the mounting tabs (radiator and silencer) are off a little which is an easy fix if you now a welder. The cylinder does have 2 screw holes though, and I think i remember taking it off (last December). I havent't talked to a dealer yet, but i havent seen it listed in any parts lists in any of the dozen or so shops ive looked at online. It may be something i'd have to backorder and honestly expect difficulty finding one. Is this something that a machinist can make or are you aware of a shop i can order one? Its a nice bike, i put alot into it, I want it to be right. I appreciate the help Julien, the strangest things seem to keep it in the garage
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

It would actually be part of the sr pipe. The ring has to be smaller than the pipe flange so it works like a clamp. I don't know how you could get one on a standard is pipe without cutting and welding. Any chance we can get a pic of that cylinders exhaust side?
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

My cylinder has both the bolt holes and the spring clips. I believe all Cylinders were made this way, but the bolt holes aren't used.
'00 KDX 220R
kaw814

Post by kaw814 »

thx folks. yep. they're all made this way. Ive never seen that set up before, I couldnt imagine what the bolt holes are used for. The answer is nothing.