Reeds and seat cover help

Got questions? We got answers....
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

was recommended the boyesen 607's for reeds but want other opinions. Also trying to locate a black and green or black, green and white tri color seat cover for my 03 kdx200. Already checked chaparral, ceet, and factory effects they either don't make them or only avail in black. Thanks guys. Also when considering the reeds just to be clear I'm on stock jetting , and not changing it for a bit, no toil filter, iridium ngk plug, gold series FMF gnarly woods pipe and power core 2 silencer. Air box snorkel removed as well. 32:1 mix ratio on 87 octane . Also also what would be a decent (not expensive or shotty) tire to run ?
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Reeds and seat cover help

Post by spl383 »

for the seat go here http://www.gutsracing.com/searchresults.asp?cat=2156
boyseen 607 reeds are great, when I put the reeds in my bike I had to go one size smaller on the pilot jet.
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by spl383 »

Sgt.harper48 wrote: just to be clear I'm on stock jetting , and not changing it for a bit, no toil filter, iridium ngk plug, gold series FMF gnarly woods pipe and power core 2 silencer. Air box snorkel removed as well. 32:1 mix ratio on 87 octane . Also also what would be a decent (not expensive or shotty) tire to run ?
You should probably not be on stock jetting with these mods. And if your running a good quality synthetic oil 32:1 is a little rich in my opinion. I don't run "shotty" tires, I buy the best and longest lasting tire I can buy cause I don't enjoy doing tire changes all the time.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Sgt.harper48 wrote:what would be a decent (not expensive or shotty) tire to run ?
Kenda trackmaster for the rear, about $55 each. Washougals are also an option, about $70 each.
My son likes his TM rear tire...We race on a clay based mud and soft black dirt/mud stuff in the winter and it is so slippery, that an MX tire will spin your bike completely around (180°) with the twist of the throttle. The Wash isn't as good in the mud, but traction is really good on the loose 3" rocks, roots and mid pack that I ride the rest of the time.
I highly recommend the Washougal front tire....Great breaking, It will climb a dirt wall with the side knobs.....excellent traction and about $55.00.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Do not get reeds or any other mods if your not going to adjust the jetting.
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by spl383 »

KDXohio wrote:Do not get reeds or any other mods if your not going to adjust the jetting.
I completely agree with you, It looks like he already has the mods. He should probably be more worried about running the bike to lean than getting reeds.
CAL-kawi

Post by CAL-kawi »

There was another post stating he's looking for jets. A good idea, as poor jetting will not allow the benefits of the pipe and reeds. I think the 607 power reeds are well worth the $30 or so they cost; more response and a little better rev out if you use the 607 included reed plates, instead of the stock reed stops. Go down 1 size on the main jet, and adjust the air screw.
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

Ok so basically based off what I understand at this point is that I pretty much have to re-jet regardless. The only thing I've done is what the FMF paper said after installing the silencer and header and that was to pull the snorkel and use stock jetting or if I wanted to change it they have a recommended jetting which I thought it would be ok to stay with stock. My stock reeds look worn and chipped at the ends so I thought replacing them would help. I literally don't understand enough of this stuff to probably be doing most of this stuff on my own but I literally do not want to pay 105 an hour for labor at the local dealer or shop and the people I see riding are too stuck up to help me out with understanding this stuff. That's where you guys come in because you are the only help I have and I really do appreciate it. 30 years old and for the first time I feel completely ignorant about something.
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

I guess the right question is if I am at sea level here in central Florida and knowing I have the gnarly woods pipe and power core 2 silencer and have the air box snorkel removed how do I figure out what jets to put in the carb to keep it in the middle of rich and lean ? FMF paper says 155-160 and 45-48 on the main and pilot respectively. I want to get the proper ones to be able to use the boyesen 607s and get whatever gain comes by doing these changes. Also to note I'm using yamalube high performance 2stroke 2R to mix with the gas. Again guys thanks a ton for putting up with me
ced64k
Supporting Member

Post by ced64k »

Sgt.harper48 wrote:lso trying to locate a black and green or black, green and white tri color seat cover for my 03 kdx200. Already checked chaparral, ceet, and factory effects they either don't make them or only avail in black.
http://stores.ebay.com/ribseatfactory/? ... nkw=kdx200
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

At the top of this forum is the newbie guide. Open that thread, then click on the Jetting Guide. It's often a trial and error process, and the only real way to jet YOUR bike for the equipment and conditions YOU have.

Good luck.
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

Yeah I found that about an hour after my last posting. Went and picked up a 155 and a 45 today and a couple of plugs. Warmed the bike up pretty good checked the plug looked good so I ran down the dirt road for about a mile and a half as wide open as I could turned around came back waited a bit pulled the plug and was a tad bit dark but I still would think as long as it's a slightly dark brown I'm probably as close as I'm gonna get without fine tuning . My rule of thumb if it's that close don't screw with it otherwise I'll have it way off in 2 seconds flat :) only other thing I'm wondering is when I replace the stock reeds if I stay with stock will I have to just fine tune or will I have to completely rejet ? I have the 607s but want to see how new stock reeds do in it first