Ethanol

Got questions? We got answers....
Corey

Ethanol

Post by Corey »

Any thoughts on using an additive in your gas to neutralize the harmful effects? I was told that SeaFoam Fuel Treatment is 2-stroke friendly and is a good product.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Ethanol

Post by Jaguar »

just add water, slush around, and siphon out the water/ethanol combo that has settled at the bottom.
of course do this in a gas can, not your gas tank, because if even a drop remained at the bottom it would cause your engine to run like crap for a moment or more when the water/ethanol is sucked up thru the jets.

Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

If you are going to remove the ethanol with water, make sure you start with the highest octane gas you can get.

I also keep my gas in metal cans.

The best thing is to find ethanol free gas. I've found this to be pretty accurate: http://pure-gas.org/

Another one is : http://www.buyrealgas.com/
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

both are great ideas the additives don't remove the ethanol they just help with the blending

for example Additives to remove water in fuel are usually an alcohol based product that just allows the water to mix back in with the fuel
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Ethanol

Post by C George »

Corey wrote:Any thoughts on using an additive in your gas to neutralize the harmful effects? I was told that SeaFoam Fuel Treatment is 2-stroke friendly and is a good product.

There is really NO ! way of removing the negative effects of Ethanol in fuel , especially in two strokes.

I realize I probably hate the stuff more than most and some will say they run E-10 with zero problems.

But I'm fortunate to be in an area where we can easily get Non-Ethanol 91 octane fuel.

Thats your best option even if you have a drive to get it.

The additives that you and others have mentioned basically help keep the Ethanol from separating from the gasoline.

Seafoam is basically just a lubricant / cleaner and you'd want to double check it's compatibility with your 2 stroke oil.

I've heard of people adding water and then draining out the Ethanol/ Water mixture but that sounds like such a PIA.

If there is a local air port that sells AV gas , that would be my suggestion , bummer but you'd have to jet accordingly or

what I'd suggest if the ONLY fuel you can buy has Ethanol , add something like Star-tron and MAKE SURE your two stroke oil

will mix properly with E-10 as many wont. And then I'd never leave the E-10 mixture in the bike for any length of time.

If you were to not ride for a few weeks , I'd drain the tank and bowl and store the fuel in a tightly sealed METAL gas can.

I don't care what they say but plastic gas gans suck ! The gas fumes permiate the plastic and your fuel goes to ****.

The only time you see plastic cans used by pro's is when their only used for that one day and then the fuel is kept in a metal drum.

Thats why the old dike bikes that had decals on the plastic tank would come off , the fumes would push them off.

The other thing to do is to put an in line fuel petcock in your gas cap vent hose , shut that off along with your bikes regular petcock

after every ride.

YOU CAN'T TELL I HATE THE STUFF CAN YOU :) :)
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Ethanol

Post by C George »

05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by spl383 »

I don't have ethanol free gas locally so I mix star-tron in my gas
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

It's hard to get ethanol free here. There's one station 20 miles away that has it. In the meantime, the bike is plenty fun running e-10. Even after weeks or months, it fires up in 2 kicks. No, it's not ideal, but if that's what you can get you can certainly make do with it.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

I honestly haven't had any issues with running e-10. My preference, of course, would be to get ethanol free fuel. However, since it was introduced I have been running it and haven't noticed a problem. My bike will sit for weeks, heck end a month or more so yet things seems to keep on ticking. I am pretty consistent with my maintenance, but I'd be lying if I said I saw any ill effect from e-10. Not suggesting there are none, just my limited abilities haven't stumbled on them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Corey

Post by Corey »

What is E-10?
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

Its' the gasoline industry rating of 10% Ethanol mixture.

E-10 ,,, 10%
E-15,,, 15%
E-85,,, 85%

E-85 is only for flex fuel automobiles and isn't even classified as gasoline.

The biggest debate in the fuel industry is that the Fuel Manufacturers want to push E-15 onto us poor consumers.
Their is NO small engine , motorcycle , marine , ect. company that honor any engine warranty if E-15 is run.
So to each their own on the harmful effects of it.

Note : They sticker these pumps all up with E-10 stickers but if one was to test the actual content it usually ranges from
8 to 12% Ethanol content.
It IS such a problem keeping Ethanol mixed with gasoline that they add it at the rack when a trucker picks up a load of fuel.
So crudely that the valve doesn't always get shut off at the rt. time.
Them the mixture is blended as the truck sloshes up the highway.
Even the Fuel Distributors say that E-10 should be used up within 30 days.
In your passenger car thats not a problem if you buy your fuel at a high volume station.

More Useless Info ,,,,, I mix 2 gallons 91 octane NON- E to 1 gallon of 100 octane AV gas for our bikes. Drain in the fall into metal can and use in the spring.
Aviation gas has a mandated shelf life minimum of 5 years .
Last edited by C George on 07:48 am Aug 29 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Corey

Post by Corey »

Thanks for all the replies. Very informative.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Ethanol

Post by canamfan »

If your buying non ethanol gas at a pump where all blends use the same hose you'll need to run a gallon or so into your vehicle or something so you can get the ethanol fuel out of the hose. I just guess that a gallon will flush the hose of ethanol fuel. We have a station here that has a dedicated pump for ethanol free.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

Good thought ,,,,,, yes , I also buy from a dedicated pump station.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

We just purchased a new push mower over the week end and here's a big red tag covering the gas cap.

DO NOT use gasoline containing more than 10% Ethanol , engine damage may result. :shock:

I'm not sure if any of us actually answered your question as there's dozens of products on the market that
claim to reduce the harmful effects of Ethanol.

Then we'd be starting a debate similar to an oil debate , which is usually a waste of time.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

considering the power difference;
if the ethanol has 75% the energy for the same volume as gasoline then at 10% ethanol the total energy loss is 2.5%
Not a lot but when racing every bit counts.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

I just sold a snowmobile today that hadn't been started for 10 years.

It had non - ethanol gas in it and the guy who bought it , started it up
and drove it across the back yard to his truck.

He was happier than hell that he wouldn't be cleaning out ethanol corrosion.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

http://pure-gas.org/

then put in your state and city

Hopefully, you can find some non-ethanol.

I try to get my gas from non-ethanol stations and my corn from a can.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Ethanol

Post by C George »

We're still running 33% 100LL Av gas mixed with 91 octane NON-ETHANOL.

Runs great and the fuel has terrific shelf life with a metal can .