Ultra noob--question about KIPS

Got questions? We got answers....
Jochen00

Post by Jochen00 »

Hello there fellow KDX riders,

Last week I bought myself a used KDX 125, year 2003 on paper, but I think its a bit older though, still need verification.
Anyhow on the papers it says its 12HP, I've been reading alot of stuff about the power valves and that you can tune them to get up to about 25 hp.
Yet a super noob like myself doesn't even understand half of it.
I opened up the KIPS case to check how it looks inside, picture down below, and I wonder if everything is looking normal, can you see wether the valves are as they should be or are they restricted?
My first thought was that it was a mess inside, way to much oil/black dirt,...shoudl I clean it, or leave it?
What else can I do to give my bike more power?

Thanks in advance!
Greetz
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Ultra noob--question about KIPS

Post by Julien D »

That's just the resonator cover. Nothing to see inside there. You can get a view of the valves through the exhaust outlet if you pull off the pipe. As far as tuning them to double horsepower? Nah. There's really not anything you can do with or to the KIPS on your bike to increase hp.
Jochen00

Post by Jochen00 »

Ok, thanks for your reply.
Yet are there any restrictions standard on the bike that I can remove (derestrict)?
Or any other solution to increase HP, like different exhaust,...?

Thanks
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Boyesen reeds, fmf pipe, R-B head and carb mod and proper jetting
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Jochen00

Post by Jochen00 »

Should i go for a low end exhaust or high end power??
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Only you can answer that. Do you rev it wide open most of the time, or at less rpms and shift sooner. Running at high rpms is tiring and requires more skill to go fast.

You may want to consider a bigger bike if power is an issue. Costs with add-on parts add up quickly and they only deliver modest gains. They CAN make the bike easier to ride, by making a small adjustment to the power spread, like a low end or high end pipe. You might gain one HP for a $400 pipe and silencer set. Engine mods are also expensive, and may affect reliability for a couple HP. Ron Black (RB) is the preferred engine shop on here.

If you sell your bike and buy a kdx 200, you are starting off with more displacement and more power.

Getting your jetting right gives free power, by making the engine run to its potential. If you don't know how, ask a friend who rides or a bike shop mechanic to help you with it. Or read up on here and do it yourself.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
Jochen00

Post by Jochen00 »

Thanks for your reply.

I probably will consider a bigger more powerfull bike later...thing is here in Belgium you need a seperate drivers license for anything above 125cc and x Kw. A 125 cc is ok if you have your drivers license for a car.
Getting your motorcycle license costs around 1200 dollar...obligated to take the lessons.
So yeah for now i'm sticking with the 125 and in the future I will go for a heavier one!:)

Greetz
gereonb

Post by gereonb »

buy a top-end rebuild kit, strip her down. Clean all the ports and check the power valves, if you know an engine builder freak nearby then have the head ported and polished. When you have it back together it should already feel much better than before. Next step would be to get a better "pipe" or expansion chamber.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a ... -2-stroke/
chippy

Post by chippy »

I would start with cleaning/re-packing the silencer (check for restriction) and cleaning the air filter. Then open the airbox a little and re-jet. That will give you the most power with what you have. Then I would try gearing up or down to match the type of riding you want to do. These are inexpensive ways to get the most power from your bike.