KDX 200 for enduro racing?

Got questions? We got answers....
melias24

Post by melias24 »

Hey guys, so i am most likely going to get a KDX200 some time in future. I am selling my Husqvarna TC250 and buying a trials bike, and with the spare cash, hopefully i'm going to be able to purchase a dirt bike, for when my mates go riding and camping so i don't miss out, and beside's i don't want to permanently leave dirt bikes and want to do enduro racing, and do trials (if anyone is wondering the trials bike i am getting is either a GasGas, Beta, but the most likely one will be a Sherco 2.9 (290cc)

Anyway, i was hoping to transfer those trials skills to the enduro bike. I have found a 2003 KDX200 for $1800 AUD. (would like some info on this bike like horsepower and anything that is wrong or good about these models etc) Anyway, with those skills i wanted to race enduro. Many people do it and it's a very big sport here in Central Queensland, and up north of Queensland. Only problem is that i don't know whether the KDX will have the power to keep up with bikes i'll be racing with, or whether the suspension is up to spec.

I'm pretty sure, that i'd be in with other 200's, 250f's and 150 2 strokes.

Anyway, anyone raced a KDX in a race with more modern bikes? Also, what mods can be done to make it a top end screaming beast, but with that nice low end power for the slow sections? I have seen the RB carb mods, does anyone know whether that they will ship a new modified carb to Australia?

Here's a link to the KDX i have my eye on: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-detail ... 1086939690
Also, i found another one, 1999 or 2000 model that has had kx250 front fork conversion and a full pro circuit system, and a couple of other mods that is expected with a bush bike, but it isn't as clean as the 2003 mod.
~Elias
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: KDX 200 for enduro racing?

Post by KarlP »

A KDX is just fine for enduro racing.

KX forks are a big improvement over the stock forks, especially in the faster stuff.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
CAL-kawi

Post by CAL-kawi »

Yes I agree it will be just fine. It will not have as much HP mid and top as a 250f, (especially stock) but the quick handling and response will make up for it in the tight going. An fmf rev or a PC pipe will really improve the mid through top, still not quite 250f power, but close enough to compete. I find that any more HP than that is wasted with wheel spin anyway, but I'm not a heavy guy. For the Kdx200, an RB carb is nice, but not necessary. Some good reeds and a different carb needle will improve the response well enough. If you are anything over 150 lb the forks will feel under sprung, especially at speed.
Things to watch out for. Really not much goes wrong on the 200, but the crank seals are harder to access than some bikes. The rest is just standard maintenance. Raise the rear of the bike off the ground, and listen/feel for play in the swing arm and linkage bearings. Plan to do a top end job and clean the power valves. Make sure the trans oil is not white. Etc.
Sounds like a great combo to own! I love mine. The trials bike should be a fun way to improve your skills as well.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Pretty easy to get 250f hp levels from a KDX. Check some dyno charts. :mrgreen:
melias24

Post by melias24 »

CAL-kawi wrote:Yes I agree it will be just fine. It will not have as much HP mid and top as a 250f, (especially stock) but the quick handling and response will make up for it in the tight going. An fmf rev or a PC pipe will really improve the mid through top, still not quite 250f power, but close enough to compete. I find that any more HP than that is wasted with wheel spin anyway, but I'm not a heavy guy. For the Kdx200, an RB carb is nice, but not necessary. Some good reeds and a different carb needle will improve the response well enough. If you are anything over 150 lb the forks will feel under sprung, especially at speed.
Things to watch out for. Really not much goes wrong on the 200, but the crank seals are harder to access than some bikes. The rest is just standard maintenance. Raise the rear of the bike off the ground, and listen/feel for play in the swing arm and linkage bearings. Plan to do a top end job and clean the power valves. Make sure the trans oil is not white. Etc.
Sounds like a great combo to own! I love mine. The trials bike should be a fun way to improve your skills as well.
I only weigh around 125 pound, do you think the suspension will be good for my weight?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The front forks will be fine for you if you're just plunking around on some trails. If you want to be competitive at all, you will definitely want to work on them.
CAL-kawi

Post by CAL-kawi »

Really? Capable of over 40 HP? (not that I need it, too many trees...) Good to know that's possible if so. Anyway, my previous point being that even without skilled engine work, a lower budget kdx with good jetting, reeds, and pipe can be competent thanks to a very usable engine with quick response. Not to mention other perks such as not easily stalled, and 1 easy kick usually to fire back up.
And yeah, you'll probably want to do something with the forks sooner than later, especially considering what you're coming from.
melias24

Post by melias24 »

Julien D wrote:The front forks will be fine for you if you're just plunking around on some trails. If you want to be competitive at all, you will definitely want to work on them.
Do you think my local bike shop could do that? I might inquie, not sure how to word it though... So would i say "how much for my suspension to be sprung for my weight please" or how would it be worded so i can ask, not sure what you mean by i'll want work on them.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Yes that (your proposed question) should work, but part of getting the right springs is understanding your ability and intended use. You've already mentioned use (enduro racing), ability let's say for discussion purposes beginner/novice and your weight is your weight with gear on. The bike's shock (rear) and fork springs come VERY light. So unless you weigh a 140lbs wet then there is a solid change you need new springs front and back. Once in, don't forget to set the race sag - very important.

HOWEVER, I had a 2005 KDX 200 for my son that had stock suspension. I rode it many times and even raced an AMA National Enduro in CO with no issues. I was an expert level rider 7yrs ago but now play around with my son. When I race I enter intermediate. Sure the suspension was soft as hell, but it did jut fine.

So before dumping a bunch of money into it, I would set my race sag, race the enduro (maybe a few) then decide what you want to do. You might (no one shoot) decide the KDX is not the bike you want if your racing interest increase. That said, I would argue few have the ability to truly "out ride" a properly set up bike regardless of brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The rear spring is actually good for up to about 200lbs. The front is obviously not. You will need stiffer springs at a minimum. They are not hard to swap out. Check out racetech for recommendations on spring weights.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

At 125 lb I would not change either spring. I'd change fork fluid to 7.5 wt, have the shock serviced, go through the linkage bearings and keep working with clickers and front/rear sag until you find the sweet spot. You'll know it when you find it - all of a sudden you'll be steering with your eyes.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
melias24

Post by melias24 »

Sullyfam wrote:Yes that (your proposed question) should work, but part of getting the right springs is understanding your ability and intended use. You've already mentioned use (enduro racing), ability let's say for discussion purposes beginner/novice and your weight is your weight with gear on. The bike's shock (rear) and fork springs come VERY light. So unless you weigh a 140lbs wet then there is a solid change you need new springs front and back. Once in, don't forget to set the race sag - very important.

HOWEVER, I had a 2005 KDX 200 for my son that had stock suspension. I rode it many times and even raced an AMA National Enduro in CO with no issues. I was an expert level rider 7yrs ago but now play around with my son. When I race I enter intermediate. Sure the suspension was soft as hell, but it did jut fine.

So before dumping a bunch of money into it, I would set my race sag, race the enduro (maybe a few) then decide what you want to do. You might (no one shoot) decide the KDX is not the bike you want if your racing interest increase. That said, I would argue few have the ability to truly "out ride" a properly set up bike regardless of brand.

What is race sag if I may ask?

Also on your comment saying the kdx might not be the right bike, I was looking at 125 2 strokes but I am looking at the kdx because of more bottom end power.

Would you know how to increase the bottom end power on a 125? Besides enduro racing I was also going to intend to do cross training, its doing trials bike things on an enduro bike, so that is also another facot why I'm leaning to the kdx.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Race sag is a simple measure that ensures your rear shock is set up to start in the right position in the shock stroke. If it doesn't then you are not operating the suspension in its optimal range. Better walk through here...pictures and all!

https://www.procircuit.com/content/Sett ... %20Sag.pdf

Or you can go to RaceTechs website.

If I were trail riding I would not want a 125. Not much low end grunt and the power delivery is too snappy IMO. The KDX200 is darn near ideal for many applications.

My comment on bike change was more to the point of the more your ride, the better you know what you want. In the end, the KDX may be perfect. It's certainly a great platform to explore that question given it's versatility.

Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

KarlP wrote:At 125 lb I would not change either spring. I'd change fork fluid to 7.5 wt, have the shock serviced, go through the linkage bearings and keep working with clickers and front/rear sag until you find the sweet spot. You'll know it when you find it - all of a sudden you'll be steering with your eyes.
+1

melias24

Post by melias24 »

Sullyfam wrote:Race sag is a simple measure that ensures your rear shock is set up to start in the right position in the shock stroke. If it doesn't then you are not operating the suspension in its optimal range. Better walk through here...pictures and all!

https://www.procircuit.com/content/Sett ... %20Sag.pdf

Or you can go to RaceTechs website.

If I were trail riding I would not want a 125. Not much low end grunt and the power delivery is too snappy IMO. The KDX200 is darn near ideal for many applications.

My comment on bike change was more to the point of the more your ride, the better you know what you want. In the end, the KDX may be perfect. It's certainly a great platform to explore that question given it's versatility.

Thanks for all that. I would prefer a KTM 200 exc (as they are more modern more power stock etc) but apparently the early models are crap.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

From your original post the two concerns listed for the KDX on racing enduro were top speed and suspension.

Not sure how your enduros are set up, but here (Texas) top speed is not a major concern. Sure you want to haul the mail when opportunity strikes, but in my experience with the KDX in enduro or hare scamlbes, top speed wasn't an issues. I guess on a longer straight it could be, but a little late braking can cure that, then it's back into the tighter more technical stuff where the KDX can hold it's own just fine.

Suspension is a legitimate concern, but it's really just the front and there are options for addressing that if you are so inclined. Had I kept the KDX I would have done a fork swap eventually, but in stock form and properly sprung to your weight it can still be very competitive.

dpaul03

Post by dpaul03 »

I agree with Sullyfam here. I am over in Arizona with a 96 KDX200 and our Enduros and Hare Scrambles don't have many open sections where the top-end comes into play. Those guys who do have that top-end advantage, well...if they pass you on the straight they pass you. The KDX's strength is in the tight stuff...I would focus on leveraging that aspect through what you gain in your trials riding. Also...with trials bikes, there are quite a few older, used ones out there (for cheap!!). I chose to go with an 85 Yamaha YT350. Why? Because I didn't want to spoil myself with an ultra-modern machine touting the best suspension and other components out there. I really wanted to improve my skills as a rider...having all those goodies only lets you go so far because you are being "helped" by the technology. Just my .02

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk