I Think It Seized –– Suggestions?

Got questions? We got answers....
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Post by Mayor Brap Brap »

I went for a ride today with a friend and we stopped for a quick break before heading home. When I went to start it, the kicker would not go. We tried to bump start it in every gear, but no dice. Nothing wrong with my gas mixture, never had a problem with it before.

I haven't torn into it yet because I'm too tired from pushing it uphill for about a mile.

Suggestions?
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: I Think It Seized –– Suggestions?

Post by KDXohio »

Did it run fine and you shut it off to take a break?
If so I wouldn't think its seized pull the plug, and see if itll kick over may have oil/coolant leak into combustion chamber causing it to hydro-lock. If it still wont kick keep the plug out and put it in a high gear and push it and see if it turns over if so pull your clutch cover and inspect your kick and gears
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

It turns out it was the kicker spring that popped out and jammed the gears. Any suggestions as to how to prevent this from happening in the future?
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

If it is installed correctly, the right side cover has a raised area in the cast that should keep pressure on it to prevent it from popping out
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Yeah, a new spring and more care when putting the cover back on :lol: . I've had it happen as well, but I was 300 miles from home at a huge MC event and about 8 miles into a ride :vom: . I had to leave my bike there and hitchhike back to camp, wait for everyone to get back, so I could go get the damn thing.
Anyways.....I'm willing to bet it slipped out of it's perch while you where petting the inner clutch cover back on. Eventually it spins into the clutch gear and stops the bike from starting.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

6 Riders wrote:Yeah, a new spring and more care when putting the cover back on :lol: . I've had it happen as well, but I was 300 miles from home at a huge MC event and about 8 miles into a ride :vom: . I had to leave my bike there and hitchhike back to camp, wait for everyone to get back, so I could go get the damn thing.
Anyways.....I'm willing to bet it slipped out of it's perch while you where petting the inner clutch cover back on. Eventually it spins into the clutch gear and stops the bike from starting.
Man, that sucks! I never had the cover off until this problem happened. Probably have 500 miles on this thing and then one day the spring decides to pop out. :doh: