Fork seal replacement

Got questions? We got answers....
Corey

Fork seal replacement

Post by Corey »

Hey Folks,

Getting ready to replace the fork seals and bushings on my '96 KDX200. Haven't had to since I bought it a couple of years ago but now one of them is starting to weep. They are the stock non-USD type. I have a Cylcepedia manual and my question is: Can I change the dust, oil seals and bushings without taking out the damper rod? The manual does not say specifically it just shows the complete disassembly process by removing the damper rod first and then grabbing the outer and inner tubes and using a slide hammer type motion to seperate the two to get access to what I want to replace.

Thanks in advance to your replies!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Fork seal replacement

Post by 6 Riders »

You can't replace the lower bushing w/o removing the dampening rod. The seals and upper bushing you can do with the rod in place.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Corey

Post by Corey »

Thanks 6 Riders for the reply. So do you seperate the inner and outer tubes by using that slide hammer motion/technique?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

No. It has to come out. If you want the best tool, get the one from FRP Offroad. Otherwise, some have used an air impact to pop the bottom compression adjuster assembly loose. Don't over do it, as there are o-rings on it. Getting it tightened to proper torque is a guessing game without the proper tool.

If your work area allows it, pour a couple of gallons of boiling water over the seal area before slide hammering them apart. (AND Take out the circlip first!!)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Corey

Post by Corey »

Thank you!!