Low idle after revs

Got questions? We got answers....
MistrRoboto

Low idle after revs

Post by MistrRoboto »

My 2001 KDX200 runs pretty damn well when moving. Slightly rich but still ok.

If I run it hard through a gear or two then slow to a stop, it idles extremely low. Sometimes low enough to stall. It doesn't happen after a super easy cruise around the yard, only the higher rpm stuff. Irritates the hell out of me on the trail since I have to keep blipping it to keep rpm in a decent range. Idle screw doesn't seem to effect it much. Any ideas?

Ride at sea level. 80-90 degrees. Pretty humid. Stock airbox, aftermarket pipe, 38/152. Tried different airbox options, and 42 jet as well. Stock needle, second from top. Plug shows rich. Boyesen 607 reeds.

Could rb carb job fix me right up?

Thoughts?
Jim
Adamnb1

Low idle after revs

Post by Adamnb1 »

MistrRoboto wrote: Idle screw doesn't seem to effect it much.
Jim
Are you saying you could fully seat your idle screw in these cases and it wouldn't have an effect?
MistrRoboto

Re: Low idle after revs

Post by MistrRoboto »

Adamnb1 wrote:
MistrRoboto wrote: Idle screw doesn't seem to effect it much.
Jim
Are you saying you could fully seat your idle screw in these cases and it wouldn't have an effect?
Pretty much. There are times where it would matter... But right after a hard run, it doesn't seem to matter. It's nearly at stalling at that point. Basically running like the needle is all the way out. So I have it virtually all the way in. Then out of no where it's like it recognizes that and the idle soars up.

Also worth noting this is when the bike is upright. If I put it on the side stand, the idle goes right back to obeying the needle.

To me that feels like the float but I've adjusted it numbers times. Tip of the float needle looks OK so I haven't replaced it.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

mine is like that still after a rebuild. I ink the carb is just worn out and sloppy.
MistrRoboto

Post by MistrRoboto »

Went out today and it ran like a champ. Must be jetting with the hot humid weather. Today was a bit cooler with lower humidity...