Carbs from RB

Got questions? We got answers....
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Carbs from RB

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

Anyone know about these carbs ?? http://rb-designs.com/rb_designs_llc_016.htm
I'm thinking about getting the one on the left of the page for 325. Welcome all opinions and thoughts on this purchase
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Carbs from RB

Post by royadams »

I would pay the extra $20 and get the air striker. What's wrong with your original carb ? why not just get it modified.
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

Never done any carb work myself. I know mine needs rebuilt/jetted/cleaned/etc. and I really don't want to pay the local guy almost 500 to do it nor do I want to risk doing it myself and screwing up unless I can find a carb specific rebuild kit and figure out what jets I need for no air box mod with FMF powercore2 and gnarly woods pipe. What I really need to do is find someone local to me ( within a few hours drive) to help explain first hand and make sure I'm not screwing anything up. Please don't think I'm saying the help I'm getting here is inadequate because it's very much appreciated beyond explanation. Thanks.
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by spl383 »

Just send your carb in and have him modify yours. He will re jet/bore and modify your carb. It comes out very easily unscrew the two clips holding it in and pull it out, then unscrew the jug on top and pull out wire holding in the carb slide. send the slide with your carb . Have him put in a figure mixture screw then if you want to tune it just turn the screw. Clean it up and take out float bowls screws to drain the gas. If you ship it out on Monday you will probably have it back on Saturday. http://www.rb-designs.com/rb_designs_llc_009.htm
you should buy a book or get one online
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by spl383 »

while you have it out I would replace the hoses they tend to harden up and these look much nicer anyway. http://cycleexpress.com/product04.html
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Carbs from RB

Post by Tioli »

Well said spl383. I second that.
Iv played a lot with carbs and a RB carb is a wonder-us thing. It will give you bottom end and topend, very responsive.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

spl383 wrote:while you have it out I would replace the hoses they tend to harden up and these look much nicer anyway. http://cycleexpress.com/product04.html
Those are nice hoses! I only use his carb and vent hoses now. He ships pretty quick too!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
CAL-kawi

Carbs from RB

Post by CAL-kawi »

You'll find your carb pretty simple to work on. If you go with the RB modification, I'd first open it up, carefully remove the float and float needle valve by sliding out the pin. Then remove the 2 brass jets and clean them with a shot of carb cleaner. Spray carb cleaner through all the passages, to make sure they're clear. Spray into the orifice that the float valve seats into, and use a q-tip to clean it out. Shake the float by your ear to make sure it hasn't absorbed any fuel. Put it back together. Be careful when screwing the jets back in, brass is soft and doesn't need much.
It really isn't hard at all, it will all make sense when you open it up. After cleaning if you decide then to send it off to RB, include the extra $17 and he'll replace the internal o rings. He is not going to want to clean it for you though.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

youtube has carb cleaning/rebuilding videos that will help if you've never opened one up it'll show you what your getting into
There are full rebuild kits on amazon and ebay that will get you to stock jetting but wont take into account any upgrades that have been done or elevation
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Carbs from RB

Post by marco220 »

RB's work is top notch! Send him your carb and send it back better than new. I had the o-rings replaced, allen head bowl screws and the awesome little air screw added on -- worth every penny! It came back with the original parts and a couple extra jets for tuning. The jetting was pretty darn close based on the info I gave him.

Turn around time was very fast.
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

I decided I'm going to pull the carb and do a full cleaning and if it truly needs it also a rebuild. So next question before I get kicked for asking way too many questions lol. How do I find out what stock jetting is and how do I find out what jetting I need to be at for gnarly woods pipe and power core 2 silencer ? No other modifications to motor that I'm aware of or can tell anyway. Just curious as I can't really spend the money for a new modded carb plus all the other stuff I want to get, so maybe just one step at a time and get it running properly first and get some trail time in until the cash flow picks up a little more first.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Check fmf jetting guide on their website that will be real close to where you need to be
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Sgt.harper48
Supporting Member

Post by Sgt.harper48 »

Found the jetting guide thanks a ton !