Going back to stock pipe & silencer?

Got questions? We got answers....
LKNBigFish
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by LKNBigFish »

I just picked up an 2001 KDX 200 that has some modifications and its to loud for my current riding situation. If I install a stock pipe and silencer will I need to make any other adjustments? Which would make more of a difference, stock pipe or silencer or should I go ahead and get both? I don't mind any power loss or weight gain, just riding with my 6 and 8 year old. Any other suggestions for quieting it down?

This is what I got from the seller as far as mods-
2001 KDX 200 -
Professional Carburetor Tuning by RB Designs -
Race Tech Gold Valve -
Boyesen Reeds -
FMF Exhaust and pipe -
bushx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bushx »

I've read that stock silencer with fmf pipe is a good combo, so much so that I picked up a stock silencer to put on my 220, to replace the banged up Fmf. I managed to straighten out and repack the fmf to my satisfaction so never installed it tho. Give it a try. Try just the silencer, shouldn't have to rejet. If you do both, you probably will have to go into the carb.
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kx200 »

just go with the stock silencer for now. My street legal kdx runs fine with it. Do you have the rev pipe or the torque FMF
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by K50X200 »

kx200 wrote:just go with the stock silencer for now. My street legal kdx runs fine with it.
+1
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
CAL-kawi

Post by CAL-kawi »

Yes, the spark arrested will help some. You might consider also getting an air box lid if you don't have one, that really helps keep the noise down. I've run my 200 before with stock setup and the RB carb, and it ran just fine, just make sure your air filter oil is well squeazed out.
I'd also personally keep the fmf expansion chamber on, really only makes more noise when your on the pipe. When lugging around they aren't bad at all.
LKNBigFish
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by LKNBigFish »

CAL-kawi wrote:Yes, the spark arrested will help some. You might consider also getting an air box lid if you don't have one, that really helps keep the noise down. I've run my 200 before with stock setup and the RB carb, and it ran just fine, just make sure your air filter oil is well squeazed out.
I'd also personally keep the fmf expansion chamber on, really only makes more noise when your on the pipe. When lugging around they aren't bad at all.

Thanks, I'll try to find an air box lid
LKNBigFish
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by LKNBigFish »

kx200 wrote:just go with the stock silencer for now. My street legal kdx runs fine with it. Do you have the rev pipe or the torque FMF
Rev
LKNBigFish
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Going back to stock pipe & silencer?

Post by LKNBigFish »

I might have over reacted. It still seems loud to me but my wife said she can't hear it in the house unless I ride right by the window. I'm coming off a wr250f and the kdx seems louder to me but I guess its just the pipe. I forgot 2 stroke noise doesn't carry like a four stroke. Still would like to try a stock silencer and I think I may try to swap the REV pipe for a Torque or Dynaport Big Volume.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Please let us know how this all works out.

Cutting down the noise is always a good thing.
koshari

Post by koshari »

Good point about 4 strike noise carrying further than 2 stroke noise. Especially in the woods.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Big fan of the stock exhaust. It's heavy, only downside. Stock pipe is a tractor. Stock silencer is basically maintenance free. More to be had in head/carb mods than in the pipe.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

pumpguy wrote:Please let us know how this all works out.

Cutting down the noise is always a good thing.

i've run the stock arrestor with a gnarly woods pipe, no air box lid, etc

it's not as quiet as the stock expansion chamber, but very quiet compared to aftermarket arrestors. i'll be using it this winter when the leaves aren't blanketing the noise so much. :)
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

I have a complete stock system that came off my 2005 kdx200. I no longer have the bike and can send to you for the cost of shipping if you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk