I need some help/advice

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well i got them out with some sockets, and now i need to get some new ones and put them back in. Getting them in the right amount will be the challenging part. Now i just got to find the best prices on bearings. I dont think im gonna replace the linkage, unless you guys say i should. But im gonna get the swingarm and rear shock lower bearings rreplaced.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'd check the linkage bearings and replace them if they don't work correctly after a good cleaning.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Congrats freak. Glad you gave it a go. Like I said, I pressed mine in by chilling/heating to afore mentioned parts and used a C clamp that had a face just shy of the bearing size on the screw end and a piece of flat stock metal on the other side to work against. Then I placed the bearing over the opening, and cranked on the c clamp until it was pushed just the right depth. If you press too far, just reverse the clamp and press back the other way. You may have to take the swingarm or linkage into a tool shop to find the right c clamp, or get creative and modify one. The socket you used could also be incorporated to press in the bearing with the c clamp. But what ever you use, don't bang on it to drive the bearing in; the shock will distort the cage and the needles won't roll. I know. I did that.
If the orginoal bearings clean up well, (I used carb cleaner and WD-40) then repacked with waterproof grease, (I used BelRAy blue stuff), reassemble and feel how much play you have in the parts. YOur manual explains how to determine how much movement you can expect with serviceable bearings I think.

Again, good job; tackling this on your own. YOu remind me of myself at that age.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Good job on getting them out yourself. DO try not to beat them back into place. Someone earlier mentioned a threaded rod (it's like a bolt with no head), some nuts and washers. You can build a puller like that also.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Note to self - I've gotta learn to read all the thread before I post.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

That's a great idea! Any non-motorcycle shop can do it just as well as a motorcycle shop. It's more metalworking than a motorcycle task, anyway.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

ya i think im gonna call some places up to see how much it will cost just to put new ones in. I would do it myself but i cant afford to ruin the bearings. If it is too much then you guys can help me get them back in( by providing 3 pages of in depth instructions) :grin:
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Go to your local hardware store and look for a threaded rod just small enough to fit through the bearing. Get two or three nuts to thread on the rod, plus some washers. Get some washers too big to fit in the hole on one side and just small enough to fit inside on the other side. Turn the nut to pull the bearing into the swingarm bearing hole. Be sure to put the bearings in separate freezer bags, then let them set for several hours. Use anti-seize grease so that they will go in easier and be easier to remove the next time.
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Great info Jason, very useful! :supz:
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

hmm sounds like a great idea. They wont get crushed or anything right??
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Guys, my post was basically a longer explanation of someone's earleir post... :cool:

It was m0rie's.

If you get some money for the holidays, you might consider the purchase of an arbor press and bearing driver kit from Harbor Freight. When I win the lottery, I am going to get the Kawasaki bearing driver kit, but until then, the $9.99 (sometimes $15) kit seems OK. I used it and my shop press to get out the shock's lower bearing (the smallest one in the linkage piece).