A dying 220

Got questions? We got answers....
BlackMist

A dying 220

Post by BlackMist »

So this will now be the second time the bike has done this to me.... Ride all day just fine, come to one stop and it stalls out. Won't restart for a good while. At first I thought it was the clutch being stuck in the basket not allowing it to spin fast enough, so I took it apart and filed the grooves down, ran fine after. Did it fix it? I have no idea. Yesterday was out riding and it did the same thing but this time it fired up semi-easier than the first run about, it still took a panic enraged fury of kicking however...

Has anyone experienced this where it just dies randomly and only once out of X days running just fine?

On a side note, are the wiseco clutch baskets worth it?
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: A dying 220

Post by Slick_Nick »

Was it a wet rainy day? Check that your kill switch wasn't letting water in.
'00 KDX 220R
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

intermittent problems are often electrical. unplug/plug back in all the connectors.
change the spark plug.
take off the flywheel and clean off any corrosion at/around the screws holding down the stator coil adjustment plate. that is a ground path.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

It sounds more fuel related. Float valve leaky? Any sign of gas dribbling when it does not want to re-start?
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

Slick_Nick wrote:Was it a wet rainy day? Check that your kill switch wasn't letting water in.
How'd you know! Hahah

Guess I'm going to have to go thru everything, it was rainy both times now that I recall
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

A dying 220

Post by kx200 »

Does it start better in neutral and does it have good compression.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

A dying 220

Post by pumpguy »

A smear of dielectric grease at all electrical connection points can be useful in preventing stray short circuits. A spray down with WD 40 or similar water dispersing solvent can be helpful as well.