leasing land?

Got questions? We got answers....
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

leasing land?

Post by KarlP »

Moderators- If this is not in the right section I apologize. This section seemd to get the most traffic.....

I would like to hear experiences with leasing land for riding clubs.

Next to my house is about 870 acres that we have ridden on for many years. Every few years the landowner contracts with the Sherrifs department to run around and arrest every body they can find. My riding buddies and I generally get wind of the cycle of enforcement and stay out until things cool down. This last cycle I got caught up in it. My wife was out picking berries in an old dirt pit and I walked out there to see how she was doing. I ran into a sherrif who told me to go down to the jail and turn myself in...... That is a whole 'nuther story. No wonder folks don't trust the Police, Eh?

I am sure I could get 10 or 15 of us together and propose something to the land owner/manager.

I imagine we would have to form a club, incorporate into an LLC, buy liability insurance, and somehow make it worthwhile to the landowner.

It is not just motorcyclists who have been using this land, of course. Quadtards are the primary source of irritation to the landowner. There has also been horse riders, joggers, people walking their dogs, berry pickers, poachers, homeless people liveing in tents, tweakers cooking meth, burnt cars, 4WD truck traffic, mountain bikers and no doubt a pervert or two reading dirty magazines. When I was involved in Scouting I used to host 5 and 10 mile hikes on our single track.

So - Who has been involved in succesfully forming an association and getting legal access to private land?
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

leasing land?

Post by Keystone »

I belong to a club that has leased about 800 acres of land. It seems to work well with 250 members @ $85. per year and additional immediate family members at $20. each. Guest rides are $20. per day. Insurance is required, release form is required. Trail work and policing of the trails is done by the members. Currently, we have 220 members.
I don't know the logistics behind all this, I'm sure it could be a giant headache and most people, including landowners, don't want to deal with it.