Is that a stock piston in my kdx220??

Got questions? We got answers....
mtaylor

Re: Is that a stock piston in my kdx220??

Post by mtaylor »

Julien D wrote:That bottom end really should be split now. You'll never be sure you got all those bits out otherwise.
I probably will, but theres an enduro event coming up soon that I want to ride. So ill probably just throw the new piston in and see how it goes.

As for doing a bottom end rebuild, I couldnt find a complete crank kit for the kdx (like from hot rods). I could only find the connecting rod and crank side bearings.
What do you guys use / do ?

Also the cylinder has some damage, some pitting near the bottom (not in the compression zone) and some chips with sharp burs on the ports.
I dont want to pay to replate it at this point, think ill try to debur the edges and clean it the best I can. And hope the rings dont get caught.

Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

mtaylor wrote: I probably will, but theres an enduro event coming up soon that I want to ride. So ill probably just throw the new piston in and see how it goes.

As for doing a bottom end rebuild, I couldnt find a complete crank kit for the kdx (like from hot rods). I could only find the connecting rod and crank side bearings.
What do you guys use / do ?

Also the cylinder has some damage, some pitting near the bottom (not in the compression zone) and some chips with sharp burs on the ports.
I dont want to pay to replate it at this point, think ill try to debur the edges and clean it the best I can. And hope the rings dont get caught.
There aren't complete crank kits for the KDX, you need to have the OEM rebuilt.

Can you borrow or rent a bike for that enduro? I think you are taking a big risk ruining a new Wiseco or doing more damage running things as is.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

^

I agree with this.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

Julien D wrote:^

I agree with this.

+2 ,,, that cylinder is some rough shape. I'd doubt if you could smooth out the ports w/o flaking the stock electrofusion.

Look at the top of the exhaust port ..... Somebody must have heard something when it first came apart.
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
mtaylor

Is that a stock piston in my kdx220??

Post by mtaylor »

Well I put the new piston in it and rode it in the enduro. Started and ran fine.

Doesnt idle well - is this adjustable on the 220 carb? (There is a strange black plastic or rubber thing where I expected the idle adjust screw)

Rear brake seized up on me, so I went home early. Still had a few hours of fun.