Should i trade my kawasaki mojave for a 1990 kdx200?

Got questions? We got answers....
FirstTimer

Post by FirstTimer »

Im looking for a dirt bike and i finally have the opputunity. I found someone willing to trade. My quad for their bike. According to them they just rebuilt the bottom end. It looks nice from the pictures. I have never ridden a bike before so would you recommend this as good bike to learn on? I know how to ride clutch and my only experience on two wheels is from scooters and mini bikes.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: Should i trade my kawasaki mojave for a 1990 kdx200?

Post by KDXohio »

Its a great bike to learn on if you think the value is equal and the bike runs good i say go for it!
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

FirstTimer wrote:Im looking for a dirt bike and i finally have the opputunity. I found someone willing to trade. My quad for their bike. According to them they just rebuilt the bottom end. It looks nice from the pictures. I have never ridden a bike before so would you recommend this as good bike to learn on? I know how to ride clutch and my only experience on two wheels is from scooters and mini bikes.
be very careful with the throttle at first and keep that left hand covering the clutch!

the kdx has enough oomph to lift the front in third gear if you tell it to.

I'm a big fan of converting quad owners to dirt bikers ;-)
FirstTimer

Post by FirstTimer »

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to trade as long as they want to! And i was looking around and is it true that it can be converted to a enduro?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

No conversion needed, it is an enduro.
FirstTimer

Post by FirstTimer »

Thanks for the help! Would i have to get the bike inspected? The person who has it does not have a title for it so i know i would have to get that. I would not be putting it on the road anytime soon tho. I would use it as a trail bike for once in awhile use.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

FirstTimer wrote:Thanks for the help! Would i have to get the bike inspected? The person who has it does not have a title for it so i know i would have to get that. I would not be putting it on the road anytime soon tho. I would use it as a trail bike for once in awhile use.
No title (in a title state) is a big NO NO! I would pass for that alone myself.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

I'm guessing that when you say "enduro" you're referring to a street-legal dirt bike with a license plate (based on the context of what you where asking). Enduro is actually a type of off-road competition, and the KDX was designed to be a good enduro machine. That's what bufftester means when he says it already is an enduro. It isn't street-legal, though. I've heard the term used to describe street-legal trail bikes before but I think that's misleading.
It is possible to make an off-road only bike street legal in some states and virtually impossible in others. It's getting harder and harder all the time, too. That's a whole other topic, though.
As long as getting it on the road isn't a huge deal to you I say go for it. The E-series KDX200 is awesome. I ride an '89. They have a few quirks but nothing that can't be fixed. Especially now that BDK is making the steel KIPS sub-valves. I wouldn't let the lack of a title scare you off unless you'll be riding in an area that requires you to have a title to get a sticker. I think some public land works that way. I'm in Illinois and you don't have to have a title to get a DNR sticker. Most of my dirt bikes don't have titles because I usually buy them cheap and the title has been lost at some point in the past.
It's easy for me to say since I'm a lifelong dirt biker but I think you'll like dirt bikes a lot more than quads. The KDX would make a great learner bike, too. Good luck.
FirstTimer

Post by FirstTimer »

Thanks for the help! I don't think I need a title in Ny. Im probity going to throw in cash as well as my quad needs work. And yes i was thinking about the on road bike. O well that was not the breaking point! I just wanted to know really if it was a good bike! One thing that would be a breaking point is how is it riding on sand? Where i ride its dirt and sand. There used to be good trails but those are destroyed now by loggers.
FirstTimer

Post by FirstTimer »

Well they got rid of it before i could snag it. But know i have another opportunity to buy a 1979 klx250. Runs and drives needs bushing to the rear swingarm.