Kicker fell off

Got questions? We got answers....
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Kicker fell off

Post by JFortner5 »

I haven't started my bike in probably a month or so due to projects around the house. I finally got my garage sorted back out where I could get the bike out easier so I took it for a little ride around the neighborhood just to run it.

I got back home and was letting it cool off a little and noticed my kicker was gone. Luckily I hadn't ridden far just back and forth up a road close to mine. I hopped back on the bike and bump started it and retraced my route and luckily found the kick start laying in the middle of the road. I got back home thinking I was good. I was thinking the kickstarter was held on the same way as the gear lever for some reason. I realized though that the nut backed off and I don't know when. It was nearly dark by this time so I quit looking.

I'll go to tomorrow and see if I can find it, but if not who has them and what is the best way to keep it from vibrating off again. At least it was right in the neighborhood and not 10 miles out into the woods.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Kicker fell off

Post by Slick_Nick »

I use some loctite on mine. I also have it done with a stripe of torque paint, like I have a lot of my "vital" nuts and bolts done, so before a ride I can see at a glance if they're still tight.
'00 KDX 220R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Kicker fell off

Post by KDXGarage »

Just buy the stock nut and then use Loc-tite.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Kicker fell off

Post by kx200 »

In a pinch Fastenal might have one that will work. 12mm by 1.75
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

red loctite on both the nut and the splines. if it ever needs to come off for a repair, I'll heat it up with a torch, after stuffing wet shop rags around it.
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

Thanks for the replies I'll pick up a new nut and some loctite. Now that I'm done with the honey-do list I can get this bike ready to ride when the temps cool down a little.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Kicker fell off

Post by dfeckel »

I too have done the lost-kicker tango. Sadly, it was the first ride after installing a shorter aluminum KX 125 kicker. I am a full Loctite convert now.
David Eckel
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

dfeckel wrote:I too have done the lost-kicker tango. Sadly, it was the first ride after installing a shorter aluminum KX 125 kicker. I am a full Loctite convert now.
Part of me was hoping the lever would be lost so it would be easier to explain to the wife why I need a 125 kicker.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R