How to replace mechanical water pump seal

Got questions? We got answers....
racerx121

How to replace mechanical water pump seal

Post by racerx121 »

I have a 2001 KDX 220 that I am trying to replace the mechanical water pump seal.

I put the seal in the freezer and heated up the side case to make the part go in easer. I used a socket to press the seal in and in the process cracked the plastic part of the seal.

Any trick to get this part in easier.

I just ordered two more from motosport since Kawasaki parts take forever to get.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How to replace mechanical water pump seal

Post by 6 Riders »

I had a problem when I did this the first timen as well.....But I can't recall what I did different on the second seal...Sorry.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Corey

Post by Corey »

Smear on a thin layer of grease on the mating surfaces on both the seal and the seal housing wall on the side cover.
racerx121

Post by racerx121 »

Guys glad I bought two this time. The first one cracked going in.

the secret is using the correct socket. a 1'' socket fits perfect and does not touch the mechanical seal jus the metal lip that needs put in place.

I didn't even have to take the sidecase off what a relief since I already replaced the inside seal.

Take care.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

+1 I'm in the pump repair business and sell and install this type of seal all the time. I use this same procedure, with a short extension in the socket for a handle and something to hammer on. I paint a layer of Aviation Permatex on the metal cup before knocking it into it's seat.

The manual says to press the seal in with the driver against the polished carbon face. This is a definite no-no, and a sure path to a leaking seal.