A engine in E frame ?

Got questions? We got answers....
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

A engine in E frame ?

Post by ohgood »

I have found a non-running kdx200 A (1985) complete except carburator. Will the A (air cooled) engine fit in the E (water cooled) frame, without tons of modifications ? If it's a direct bolt in that would rock, but I doubt it ;-)

I was hoping to get the simplicity of air cooled + disk brakes of the E in a fairly neato bike to kick around town on.

sarrant

Re: A engine in E frame ?

Post by sarrant »

Probably not gonna be that easy. Beyond the obvious different engine mounts, air-cooled KDX's have side exit exhaust ports. The E-engine is center-ported, and the E frame spars could very well pass right in front of the A-series engine exhaust exit area
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yep, the exhaust exit will void that hybrid. Alternative is to use a later model KX-F frame which has a longer spar to accomodate the 4T motors offset exhaust. One of our members did this build documented here.
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

bufftester wrote:Alternative is to use a later model KX-F frame which has a longer spar to accomodate the 4T motors offset exhaust. One of our members did this build documented here.
If I remember right, ohgood already has the E-series roller as his starting point.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

well I'll keep looking I suppose. thanks guys!