up grading a 87 kdx rear shock

Got questions? We got answers....
Jtons71
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jtons71 »

Ok here it is, I have a few kdx's but my favorite was always the 87 200. I recently bought another one for 500 and it was clean with a fresh top end. It was being sold because it laid down enough smoke to effectively hide a small army. Guy thought it was a crank seal. The slide needle was not clipped in so it was dumping to much gas in. Set the needle and shazam no more smoke. Rode it and was pleased with the power and clutch but and there is always a but, I wanted more power. I installed Boyesen pro series reeds and a DG pipe and silencer, then up 1 on the main Jet. Abracadaba! I got a wheelie machine on my hands. Every time you hit power band ,and it hits early now, the front end comes right up off the ground. Lots of fun.
I let my buddies talk me into racing yesterday and boy were the suspension problems evident. The stock set up is good if you never get more than 3 feet off the ground. Now I know this is not a motocross bike but I bottomed out twice hard enough to send my kidneys into my throat. Thats completely unacceptable. I bought a triple tree off a 91 kx 125, the forks, caliper rim and axle. That should solve my front suspension woes. I'm sure the rear could use a nitrogen refill but I doubt thats gonna do it. Does anybody have a suggestion. I'm determined to get this old gal up to snuff. Thanks for any help.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: up grading a 87 kdx rear shock

Post by KDXGarage »

Check your other post for some answers on the suspension.

You will need stiffer springs in those forks. (same for the shock, which probably needs a rebuild after this many years) and fresh nitrogen.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Jtons71
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jtons71 »

Ant idea what year kx I could get e new rear shock from? The rear is in amazingly good shape . I really don't think it even needs a rebuild just nitrogen, That being said it's gone as fast as I can get an up grade. A friend said to send it out to Showa or at least call to see what they could do with it. I just don't know what the better option is.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I don't know of anything that will swap over. The rear should be fine if it's in good shape and sprung for your weight. Focus on getting the forks sorted.
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

I don't know if any KX shocks will swap over, but I can say If any do, they would need to be 1985 earlier, as all later models are piggyback bottom-link style units.

Agree with others here that the stock model, properly rebuilt and sprung should have adequate bottoming resistance.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It' a KYB shock, not a Showa. Neither company works on them. Find a suspension shop that does service.
Jtons71
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jtons71 »

I appreciate it guys. I bought a whole front end off a 1991 kx 125. I will put the heavier springs in before I install them. Ill get a picture up tomorrow of what she looks like now and some through the conversion process. The parts start arriving monday. This will be fun for me.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations and have fun with your KDX. :bravo:
Jtons71
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jtons71 »

494 I love air cooled. Went out to the New Lost Trails in PA. with 2 friends. One was on 2011 CRF 450 and the other a 2012 YZ450 . To keep a long story short, on the east coast in the woods and on a mountain the KDX truly shines. Also they were over heating and I was fine. On a track or out west they would smoke me but not in the woods.