Kdx on the road

Got questions? We got answers....
dualscotty

Kdx on the road

Post by dualscotty »

Ok here we go guys.my 1998 kdx 200 and I cover a lot of ground. It is plated so I can go through town if needed to connect trails.my question is this is 15 miles of road riding from my house to get to a trail like 35 to 45 miles an hour going to damage my engine in anyway. And what's best wind it up on the highway or kinda lugging it once in a while. to me it's just an engine so I'm sure no matter where I ride it it's fine.just figured I would ask.a all day adventure for me could consist of a couple of jonts on paved back roads. Thanks
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Kdx on the road

Post by ohgood »

dualscotty wrote:Ok here we go guys.my 1998 kdx 200 and I cover a lot of ground. It is plated so I can go through town if needed to connect trails.my question is this is 15 miles of road riding from my house to get to a trail like 35 to 45 miles an hour going to damage my engine in anyway. And what's best wind it up on the highway or kinda lugging it once in a while. to me it's just an engine so I'm sure no matter where I ride it it's fine.just figured I would ask.a all day adventure for me could consist of a couple of jonts on paved back roads. Thanks
Saturday I did a 80 mile dualsport ride. At the first fuel stop I was measuring carefully, and the old timers (this is a respectful term, for my riding buddies that have been there / done that !) were having a chuckle as I did....

"I always just dumped 4-5 ounces in, making sure I didn't miss a nice rack of boobs that walked by!"
and
"Did we EVER measure our oil back then ?"
and
"Man I can't tell you how many times we just threw weedeater oil in there, topped the tank, and hauled ass before the deputy showed up!"

They laughed hard at me while I wondered if it was hard on the engine connecting trails via dirt roads and some 35-45 mph streets.

"We didn't worry bout a damned thing back when we were riding kdx's. Pin and grin baby!"

When I asked about longevity, they looked dumbfounded. Apparently kids (myself included) worry a lot more than they ever have.

Go ride your bike and have fun.
dualscotty

Kdx on the road

Post by dualscotty »

Thanks i agree .i have heard some people warn about 2 strokes on extended street jonts but I pretty much agree with you.but hey just figured I would ask.i like that saying pin and grin.
dualscotty

Re: Kdx on the road

Post by dualscotty »

Plus I love taking my 2 stroke into town
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Kdx on the road

Post by s10gto »

I duelsport my 220 everywhere. I run synthetic oil and the factory fat jetting. No issues. Lot of hard looks from the law but no issues.... :grin:
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

I've ridden mine on highways many times. I just alternate my speed a bit and work the gears/revs. No issues (besides my tires going bald faster).
Corey

Post by Corey »

1. Vary your RPM's
2. No engine braking when stopping. Pull in your clutch when stopping.
3. Hit the power band occasionally to "clear it out'.
4. Have fun!!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That no engine braking is key. High revs, hot motor, closed throttle so no lubrication... ouch. Just keep that in mind and you will be fine.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Corey wrote:1. Vary your RPM's
2. No engine braking when stopping. Pull in your clutch when stopping.
3. Hit the power band occasionally to "clear it out'.
4. Have fun!!
I agree. This is just how I roll. :grin:
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

I'm glad to hear all of these things. I just got my '89 plated and assembled an extra set of wheels with DOT knobbies. I'm planning to ride a 250-ish mile DS ride at the end of this month on the KDX.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

TheRadBaron wrote:I'm glad to hear all of these things. I just got my '89 plated and assembled an extra set of wheels with DOT knobbies. I'm planning to ride a 250-ish mile DS ride at the end of this month on the KDX.
Takes a little time to get the hang of it but its a Blast on the street. I have been riding my 220 to work to friends ect. ect. I love the fact I can go anywhere without a truck.
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Kdx on the road

Post by kx200 »

On my 220 I run a rich pilot and just ride it. I put over 7500 miles with no problems. Even with the stock piston :shock: