Another Kips problem

Got questions? We got answers....
splashcroft

Another Kips problem

Post by splashcroft »

Hi all,
I only get to ride every few months on my beloved kdx 220 and for some unknown reason decide to work on my bike the week before I am due to go.
So after replacing my clutch as it was slipping massively I took the nut off the top of the shaft lever not sure why but the disassembly procedure in the manual said to do it. I did secure it safely before undoing.
After fitting the clutch I rotated the actuator shaft the quarter of a turn or so it turns to check the valves open and close in the exhaust port.
Big problem is due to my cock up I aligned the lever with the dot on the inner gear rather than looking for the mark on the smaller outer gear. Started to test the clutch-just drove up and down the driveway. Realising my mistake I took the actuator cover off again to realign properly.
Right now the heart of the problem, I cannot see any paint or punch marks on the outer cog on the shaft to align with the lever.
Any ideas? I would love to be able to sort this out before my ride at the weekend and without having to crawl to my local garage.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Adamnb1

Another Kips problem

Post by Adamnb1 »

is there a line on the shaft like this?
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd18 ... nd2042.jpg
splashcroft

Re: Another Kips problem

Post by splashcroft »

Hi,
Can't clearly make out a line on the shaft in your pics but mine does appear to have a slot running along it between the cogs (not just scratched or from anything going wrong,looks factory put in).
Is this what I need to line up with?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Hope this helps: Aligning KIPS
Adamnb1

Post by Adamnb1 »

splashcroft wrote:Hi,
Can't clearly make out a line on the shaft in your pics but mine does appear to have a slot running along it between the cogs (not just scratched or from anything going wrong,looks factory put in).
Is this what I need to line up with?

yes, that's what you need
splashcroft

Post by splashcroft »

perfect, many thanks guys. saved me much embarrassment at the local garage. I thought this weekend would have to be a miss but definitely up for it now. However kips clean is next big job seeing the state of the flaps in the exhaust outlet.
cheers to you both