Greasin' the old KDX200

Got questions? We got answers....
MistrRoboto

Greasin' the old KDX200

Post by MistrRoboto »

Hey fellas,

I was reading through the sticky at the top and saw one of the steps mention greasing. I've done everything else on the list a number of times now, but haven't greased/lubed anything other than the chain. Is there a guide anywhere on all the things that need to be greased on a 14 year old bike? It was never ridden much, and nothing squeaks, but I'd imagine its well over due for a grease job!

Thanks,
Jim
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Greasin' the old KDX200

Post by 6 Riders »

Wheel bearings need grease pretty regularly (every other ride?). Steering head bearings need grease after wet rides or pressure washing. Linkage and swing arm bearings need grease at least once a year...more in wet conditions. Take the swing arm off and everything else connected to it and grease away.
Swing arm and linkage bearings are the most expensive to replace and the most neglected bearings on [these] bikes.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Every time I pull my swingarm bolt, I clean it off and apply a thin layer of waterproof grease to it.

After dealing with a seized on bolt on a bike I bought, no way do I ever want to deal with that again.
MistrRoboto

Post by MistrRoboto »

6 Riders wrote:Wheel bearings need grease pretty regularly (every other ride?). Steering head bearings need grease after wet rides or pressure washing. Linkage and swing arm bearings need grease at least once a year...more in wet conditions. Take the swing arm off and everything else connected to it and grease away.
Swing arm and linkage bearings are the most expensive to replace and the most neglected bearings on [these] bikes.
You pull the wheel bearings out after every other ride?! When you take swing arm off, are you taking the entire thing apart? As in chain, wheel, etc, all off? Or is there some quick/easy way to do it where all that remains intact?

-Jim
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

MistrRoboto wrote:
You pull the wheel bearings out after every other ride?! When you take swing arm off, are you taking the entire thing apart? As in chain, wheel, etc, all off? Or is there some quick/easy way to do it where all that remains intact?

-Jim
In a wet winter, when riding through lots of water, I grease the wheel bearings every couple of rides.

With the swing arm, yes you are taking the whole thing apart. It's only once a year (or more if you wish) maintenance and the bearing are in the swing arm. You'd do the linkage at the same time, since it all pretty much needs to come apart.
I removed the motor from my 93....I could make a list of things that went wrong because the swing arm bearings were trashed.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

6riders, do you have open bearings in your wheels or did I misunderstand you? All of my bikes have sealed bearings and aren't really designed to be re-greased.
As far as taking the swingarm off goes, you'd want to take the wheel and everything off. It might be possible to do it all together but it would be way more trouble than it's worth. It's not a big deal to take it all apart. These bikes come apart easily and regular maintenance, even if it's inconvenient, is something that I consider mandatory for a dirt bike. They operate in conditions that are very mechanically hostile. Plus, the more often you take it apart, the easier it will be to get it apart the next time.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Greasin' the old KDX200

Post by canamfan »

You can't get the wheel bearings out without destroying them or at least I can't. You can pull the little seal off them with a small screwdriver or pick, then spray them out and repack.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Yup, just "pop the seal off" and get as much grease in there as I can.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I'd do the linkage bearings twice a year, swingarm once a year.
Because the wheel is off anyway I would clean up the rear wheel seals and axle and fill the space between the bearing and seal with grease. The only time I pull the seals on a sealed bearing is when new, just before installation.

Your results may vary. It all depends on trail conditions and hours you ride
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy