Bar bend recommendations?

Got questions? We got answers....
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

Last night I had a spectacular loop-out at the top of a really tough hill and wiped out my bars on my '89 E1. I'd like to take this opportunity to upgrade to some 1 1/8" "Fatbar"-style bars. I'm thinking that I'll go with Renthal Fatbars because last time I checked they were made in England and not Taiwan or China and those sort of things matter to me. I'm pretty new to "late-model" dirt bikes and I don't really have enough experience with different bar bends to know what I like and what I don't.
The bars that were on the bike were Pro-Taper 7/8" aluminum bars with a CR-High bend. I had cut them down for woods riding and everything felt good to me (with the caveat that I don't have anything to compare it to). I understand that the Fatbar adapters serve as risers so a given bar bend will be higher with the adapters. Maybe CR-Low would come close to equaling the 7/8" CR-High?
I'm 5'7" and a fit 140#. Does anyone have any recommendations as to a bar bend? I know that there's a few that already come somewhat narrow for woods riding, which is what I do. I'd just hate to plunk down the cash for a set of bars that I didn't like, even though I probably wouldn't even know that I didn't like them at this point. You don't know what you don't know, you know? :?
Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.
Rippin_RobMX

Re: Bar bend recommendations?

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I've been running tusk 1 1/8 CR-High for years. I'm 5'6" and they work pretty well for me. I did cut them down as much as possible.
stomlinson

Post by stomlinson »

Protaper kx high bend for life!!!!!
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

I ended up finding some used Fatbars for cheap on EBay. I'm not sure of the bend since Renthal doesn't seem to print that information on their bars. They look like a relatively low bend which will probably work well since the 1 1/8 bar adapters add a bit of rise.
I really like seeing "Made in England" on the bars. I have immense respect for a company that doesn't bow to the business model that demands that they move production to crummy, cheap-labor countries. They'll continue to get my business.