Coming full circle. Back to KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

So I turned 45 this year and it has been a year of transitions for my riding. The past 5 years or so I've been riding Gas-Gas and KTM, predominantly 200's. The past 3 seasons I raced some in A class and have done a lot of riding with trips to Moab, etc.

This past Fall I decided my racing days were over and I wanted to transition into just trail riding . 90% of my riding involes 2nd-3rd gear woods riding. Quite a bit is technical, the rest is flowing singletrack. I log about 2000 miles a year. I decided to get myself the ultimate old man's easy woods bike, a KTM 300EXC. I picked it for it's great linear torque. I set it up with Rekluse and it's a very easy bike.to ride.

After seeing the Freerides and X Trainers come out recently, it got me to thinking about how easy those bikes seem to be ridden. Then, I thought about my old KDX days and how really the KDX meets all of the same standards these new Freerides do. Light weight 2 stroke, linear smooth power, Soft plush suspension, low seat height, etc.

So, I am thinking of coming full circle and picking up another KDX for my old man woods bike.

I know I would be just as fast on it as I am on my KTM and there would be some real advantages with the KDX with the softer smooth power, comfortable seat, etc.

Am I craazy, or is the old KDX the original Freeride a weeks ultimate old man's woods bike?
'
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Coming full circle. Back to KDX

Post by bradf »

In '07 I decided I needed to race MX in the senior class. I put my '04 220 in storage for 7 years. After quite a few crashes, crashes that would not have been too bad if I was in my 20's or 30's, I realized MX was too dangerous if I wanted to continue making a living working.

This March I met up with a bunch of trail riders, enduro types and a few hare scramble type. They talked me into getting out on the north Florida trails again. After the first day I saw that I wanted/needed a Rekluse. So now my 220 has a EXP-3 using Teds's engineering found on this board. (look at my bike profile too see a complete list of bike's mods). I had two 'A' Hare Scramble riders take it out and both said they were amazed at the KDX's capability. One rode a 450 KTM and the other rode a 300EXC KTM. We were riding a 2 1/2 mile tight tight woods loop and their times were just seconds slower (5-15 seconds!).

I had to stop riding in May once the temps got too high. It was so much fun to get back on it.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skoalman »

FF,

It's funny that you bring this up. Even though I have brand new 2015 Beta 300rr that I purchased in June sitting in my garage (not able to ride until mid September due recent surgery) I'm still a huge fan of KDXs. I've owned THREE 200's, and regret that I never kept one. I'm a woods guy and occasional HS racer these days. In hindsight, instead changing, buying and selling bikes (wasting money) like I have over the past 13 years, I've realized the KDX was all I ever really needed. Could've spent more time riding a dialed in KDX 200 than always chasing set ups on a newer steeds.

That said, I am hoping this Beta is the last new offroad bike I buy (no, I'm not going to die anytime soon), and I am sure I am going to enjoy this bike. But, I will always keep my eyes out for a KDX being sold locally.

You're not crazy FF. I've come full circle (back to KDX) a couple of times. Biggest lesson learned, if had to do it all over again, I would've just stuck with the KDX 200 or 220 and would've completely race prepped/modified it and rode/raced the mess out of the bike. I appreciate all the bells and whistles on the newer bikes, but oftentimes those things come with a price...The more gizmos on a bike, the more something can go wrong or completely fail. The KDX is/was a simple bike that can be tailored to your ability. Easy to start, easy to maintain, easy and relatively inexpensive to race prep/modify, and stone cold reliable. What's to not to love about the KDX -- even when you don't own one anymore.
Skoalman
2017 Beta 300RR
1997 Suzuki DR650
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
1983 Husqvarna WR 430
1982 Husqvarna WR 430
1979 Bultaco 370 Fontera
1979 Maico 400 GS
1978 Maico 400 GS
1979 KTM 400 GS
1978 KTM 400 GS
1977 Penton 250 GS
1977 Suzuki TS 185
1974 Rokon 340 RT
1973 DKW 125 Enduro
1971 Maico 400 GS
1970 Maico 250 GS
1968 Maico 360 MC
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Skoalman wrote:FF,

It's funny that you bring this up. Even though I have brand new 2015 Beta 300rr that I purchased in June sitting in my garage (not able to ride until mid September due recent surgery) I'm still a huge fan of KDXs. I've owned THREE 200's, and regret that I never kept one. I'm a woods guy and occasional HS racer these days. In hindsight, instead changing, buying and selling bikes (wasting money) like I have over the past 13 years, I've realized the KDX was all I ever really needed. Could've spent more time riding a dialed in KDX 200 than always chasing set ups on a newer steeds.

That said, I am hoping this Beta is the last new offroad bike I buy (no, I'm not going to die anytime soon), and I am sure I am going to enjoy this bike. But, I will always keep my eyes out for a KDX being sold locally.

You're not crazy FF. I've come full circle (back to KDX) a couple of times. Biggest lesson learned, if had to do it all over again, I would've just stuck with the KDX 200 or 220 and would've completely race prepped/modified it and rode/raced the mess out of the bike. I appreciate all the bells and whistles on the newer bikes, but oftentimes those things come with a price...The more gizmos on a bike, the more something can go wrong or completely fail. The KDX is/was a simple bike that can be tailored to your ability. Easy to start, easy to maintain, easy and relatively inexpensive to race prep/modify, and stone cold reliable. What's to not to love about the KDX -- even when you don't own one anymore.

Couldn't sum it up any better!

I set up 2 really nice KDX's years ago and loved both. I added KX forks to my 2nd 220 with full ergo and engine mods. I could have and should have ridden that bike indefinitely. I foolishly traded it for a 450 thumper because everyone else was riding one. What a mistake that was! That 450 lasted 4 months and was sold for a Gasgas. Stayed on Gasgas and KTM for about 7 years with lots of success, but I know I would have been just as fast and just as satisfied if I'd had just stuck with the KDX.

Funny, my brother just bought a '15 Beta 250RR 3 weeks ago. I've ridden it now twice and its a beautiful, wonderful bike. But, honestly, I think I could be just as happy with a KDX considering all of our riding is in tight woods terrain with virtually all of our riding being 2nd-3rd gear. In the really tough NW woods, the KDX seems to be the king.

Currently looking for a 220 locally and I think the sweet 300EXC is going to go to a new home.
'
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skoalman »

firffighter wrote:
Skoalman wrote:FF,

Couldn't sum it up any better!

I set up 2 really nice KDX's years ago and loved both. I added KX forks to my 2nd 220 with full ergo and engine mods. I could have and should have ridden that bike indefinitely. I foolishly traded it for a 450 thumper because everyone else was riding one. What a mistake that was! That 450 lasted 4 months and was sold for a Gasgas. Stayed on Gasgas and KTM for about 7 years with lots of success, but I know I would have been just as fast and just as satisfied if I'd had just stuck with the KDX.

Funny, my brother just bought a '15 Beta 250RR 3 weeks ago. I've ridden it now twice and its a beautiful, wonderful bike. But, honestly, I think I could be just as happy with a KDX considering all of our riding is in tight woods terrain with virtually all of our riding being 2nd-3rd gear. In the really tough NW woods, the KDX seems to be the king.

Currently looking for a 220 locally and I think the sweet 300EXC is going to go to a new home.
Before I bought the Beta, I honestly was looking for low mileage KDX 220 locally. Couldn't find one, but had I been able to locate, I wouldn't have hesitated to buy it. In addition to the three KDXs I owned, in the past 3 years I've also owned KTMs, Husqvarnas, and even a dreaded four stroke -- Honda 250 CRF, and now a Beta. And it's weird firfighter, how we end up coming back to what we know should've stuck with in the first place. To paraphrase the legendary Vic Krause, " we should've known!" :doh: Please keep us updated on what you end up doing.
Skoalman
2017 Beta 300RR
1997 Suzuki DR650
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
1983 Husqvarna WR 430
1982 Husqvarna WR 430
1979 Bultaco 370 Fontera
1979 Maico 400 GS
1978 Maico 400 GS
1979 KTM 400 GS
1978 KTM 400 GS
1977 Penton 250 GS
1977 Suzuki TS 185
1974 Rokon 340 RT
1973 DKW 125 Enduro
1971 Maico 400 GS
1970 Maico 250 GS
1968 Maico 360 MC
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I went KDX 220 - KDX with KX forks - RBD work- CR/KDX Hybrid - KTM 200XC. Raced them all.

The best for just riding around and occasionally racing was the KDX220 with KX forks and an RBD job. Absolutely great bike.

That said, the KTM is fine and has been very reliable and tough. A really well built bike. Before we get all nostalgic, I haven't had to fool with linkage bearings, clutch cables, bent brake pedals, or sloppy shifters.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

just wanted to say I'm really enjoying reading this thread. the writing styles and bike history is a real treat.

since this is my first I'll just post a pic from today

firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

It's a great conversation as only a rare few are able to really test the limits of these modern enduro bikes and the KDX style bike is probably all most of us would ever need.

My KTM is a very nice bike and I do enjoy the nice high end components it's comes with. But, the plush comfy KDX was/is a treat for long days in the woods.

Still looking for a proper KDX220 local to test my theory :grin:

Ohgood, great pic and great bike! Looks very clean.

The current ride:

The one I should have never sold:

'
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXhopeful »

Niiiiiccccceeeee KDX. I wish I would have been the one to buy it.
Whoa that was close!!! Damn kid is too fast for me to try and keep up to.
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skoalman »

Update: Well, I couldn't resist picking up another a KDX (I'm holding onto this one forever this time!) Picked this up locally about 3 weeks ago. Was pretty ratty looking at the time, and so I gave it a good scrubbing and some new clothes (decals). Removed the airbox lid, installed a new air filter, installed and rejetted a new Keihin 35mm Airstrker carb and new reeds, installed new graphics/grips/handguards, drained the oil, installed a new ODO cable, installed new front and rear sprockets, cleaned and touched up the exhaust system, and new frame guards.

Thankfully, the motor is in fantastic condition, BUT it needs a lot of routine maintenance.

So I picked up a new front and rear wheel bearings and spacers, new rear caliper rebuild kit, new tires, new linkage/swingarm bearings, new front and rear brake pads, new front and rear racetech springs & fork boots, and a new set of solid triple tree bar spacers. Also bought a used purple/violet too bag from our KDXDave. Will probably get a PC II exhaust sometime down the road, but for now I just get it back to good stock condition and ride it for awhile. Should have it all installed this week and ready for it's maiden voyage next weekend (fingers crossed). Apologize for the poor quality of the pic. My cell phone doesn't take great photos. Will send an update and better quality pic upon completion of its' resurrection.

Image96KDX by john hubbard, on Flickr
Last edited by Skoalman on 06:00 pm Oct 15 2017, edited 2 times in total.
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skoalman »

Oh, and by the way I love this site. It's an absolutely amazing resource for KDX owners!!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on the KDX. Looks like you are well into a thorough job.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skoalman »

Jason wrote:Congratulations on the KDX. Looks like you are well into a thorough job.

Thank Jason! Pretty psyched about getting this bike back to good mechanical and operating condition.
Last edited by Skoalman on 11:41 am Oct 18 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Sweet ride man, congrats on the KDX! I like the pile-o-bikes in the background! haha

I read through the this thread and I have to put in my 2cents. I have a 220 dualsport that I absolutely love and I don't want it to go anywhere. But at the the same time, I have a hybrid I built a little more than a year ago on a 05 KX125 chassis. With revalved and resprung suspension.... I think its the best bike ive ridden in terms of power delivery and handling. When I ride the same single track loops on the KDX chassis vs the KX, and being more use to the hybrid, the KDX beats me up wayyy more. If you ever get the itch that you want a little more, the hybrid really is the cats behind. I have compared it to the KTM200/250/300's, YZ250's, CRF250/450's, KX450's, RM250's, 125's of all kinds (haha yea right in the woods)... you just cant beat the KDX power delivery in the woods. Revalving for the woods just steps it up another notch. All it needs is an MX chassis (properly set up for the woods) to be an ultimate single track killer. Can't say enough good things about it, and neither can my riding buddies. Just wanted to say because it seems like you are after the ultimate woods bike. Then again, I am in Germany for work, half kicked in the rear off some awesome Hefeweizen trying to kill time....take it for what its worth hahaha Either way, I totally understand the KDX full circle thing! I don't care to have any other motor between my legs in the woods!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skoalman »

Sounds, like a great ride that you have there Tyler. But naw, I'm not chasing the perfect woods bikes. I just like bikes, is all. This bike is just a back up, family/friend loaner, trail rider. I've too many other things going in my life to get addicted to bikes again -- lol!!!

Glad you're enjoying a good hefeweizen...schmecken gut!! (taste good!)

Ich glaube, dass ein gutes Bier mir mehr hilft als alle Arzte der Welt...I believe that a good beer helps me more than all the doctors in the World. Cheers Tyler!
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

I'm glad to find this thread. I've got my 92 kdx200 all rebuilt, ported, piped, and a drz250 front end sitting in the garage. I built it for quite a while and barely rode it. Was thinking of selling it, but I've read so many buyers remorse threads about them that I hesitate.
Picked up a nice deal on an rm250 (98, awesome forks) recently. Put in a new stator and she's right as rain.
Except it's too loud, tall, jumpy, and the gearing isn't my favorite.
Someone else can take the RM. I'll go back to my easy kick start DX that keeps up with my buddie's TE250!
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skoalman »

All done and ready to ride next weekend.
ImageKIMG0122 by john hubbard, on Flickr
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

HECK yeeeeah. She looks nice.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

skoalman, what bike is that light blue fender attached to?
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skoalman »

KDXohio wrote:skoalman, what bike is that light blue fender attached to?
It's a fully restored 1979 Bultaco 370 Frontera MK II. I've only ridden it around the neighborhood and on my property. It's an interesting bike. Did switch out stock Amal carb for a new Mikuni VM 38MM carb -- much easier to live with and jet.