Coming full circle. Back to KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: Coming full circle. Back to KDX

Post by KDXohio »

Skoalman wrote:
KDXohio wrote:skoalman, what bike is that light blue fender attached to?
It's a fully restored 1979 Bultaco 370 Frontera MK II. I've only ridden it around the neighborhood and on my property. It's an interesting bike. Did switch out stock Amal carb for a new Mikuni VM 38MM carb -- much easier to live with and jet.
Nice! I thought it might be a yamaha IT but the tank was throwing me off. I have yet to come across a Bultaco very cool bike!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skoalman »

KDXohio wrote:
Skoalman wrote:
KDXohio wrote:skoalman, what bike is that light blue fender attached to?
It's a fully restored 1979 Bultaco 370 Frontera MK II. I've only ridden it around the neighborhood and on my property. It's an interesting bike. Did switch out stock Amal carb for a new Mikuni VM 38MM carb -- much easier to live with and jet.
Nice! I thought it might be a yamaha IT but the tank was throwing me off. I have yet to come across a Bultaco very cool bike!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
I've owned a couple of IT 400, and an IT425. Should've never got rid of the IT425. I completely restored it and had an absolutely amazing motor and nice suspension set up. It handled way better than the 1978 IT400's I owned
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skoalman »

1996 KDX 200 Shakedown ride report: Vital stats -- Weather sunny, 53 degrees, jetting for 35mm Keihin AS carb -- 155 main, 42 pilot, DEK needle -- 2nd clip, New PC II exhaust, Racetech front and rear suspension (set up for 228 pound rider), and 12/47 front/rearsprocket combo. Riding area Wicomico motosports -- not too technical -- more of a GNCC styled course than single track. Soil -- combination sand, clay, loam.

Haven't ridden a KDX 200 in nearly 11 years, and I honestly forgot just how fun and comfortable they were. This bike was quicker and more nimble than my previous KDX's or maybe I just ride it more aggressively now. This bike was remarkably stable in the high speed sections, as well as the muddy bogs. Had to adjust my riding technique through the deep sand and over logs however. Vintage or Modern, I always ride 300 cc to 430 cc motorcycles (lugging, blipping my way through, around, and over everything)), so it took about 10 minutes or so to get use to wringing the little 200 out. What an absolute blast it was to ride a KDX again. Got in about 32 miles and would've gone again today if I wouldn't have had to clean up the KDX and prep my other bike for tomorrow's ride (2015 Beta 300RR -- which I haven't ridden for the past year.) Strangest thing is how much less tired I felt while I was riding the KDX.

Lastly, after prepping the Beta today, I took it for a quick spin on my back property...Amazing bike -- no doubt -- BUT man I forgot just how uncomfortable the seat is. Ergonomically, the Beta just felt odd after riding the KDX yesterday. The KDX is like sitting in an old comfy baralounger recliner. AND, the KDX is so much easier to work on. Had to clean the Beta's pilot jet, and removing the carb felt like I was performing a surgical/medical procedure. Removing the carb on the KDX, on the other hand, is so easy. The other thing that I realized that I like really like about the KDX -- No extra bells and whistles that can short out. No spaghetti wire harness/looms that remind you of an old Italian Fiat (Fix-it-again-tony) car. Simple, efficient, comfortable, reliable, and fun -- that's my summation of my KDX 200. Great bike.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

KDX Kouch! :lol:

Thanks for the ride report. I am glad you liked it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skoalman »

Jason wrote:KDX Kouch! :lol:
Absolutely!!