Best Air Filter?

Got questions? We got answers....
chippy

Best Air Filter?

Post by chippy »

It's time for a new filter in my 2006 KDX200.
Any thoughts on what works best?
Flanker

Re: Best Air Filter?

Post by Flanker »

I remember seeing some test done on air filters and moose racing came out slightly on top other were pretty much even. I have the twin air filter, when I was looking for a filter most people just said any foam filter will do just don't get a k&n.
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Best Air Filter?

Post by kx200 »

I like the moose triple layer air filter works great the only problem is that it is black so it is hard to see if it is clean.
Adamnb1

Best Air Filter?

Post by Adamnb1 »

ced64k
Supporting Member

Post by ced64k »

Don't if it's the best, but it's a newcomer...
https://funnelwebfilter.com.au/store/kawasaki-kdx-200/

Last edited by ced64k on 02:34 am Jul 20 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

I use notoil and it works fine. Only once did I see a slight brownish tint on the inside of the filter. However, tha was after a particularly long ride (10h+) or maybe two rides, can't remember. Usually it's dirt on the outside and clean/green on the inside. I doubt anything got into the engine, but it was a sign I hadn't cleaned it in a while. Easy to clean too. I just use the notoil filter oil and clean it up with some oxiclean. I've seen some tests before and they're interesting, but the vacuum created by an engine is nowhere nearly as strong as that of a vacuum cleaner...
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Best Air Filter?

Post by canamfan »

I have used unifilter and twin air both seem good I think the uni is easier to clean.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I now have these filters; Uni, No-toil pre oiled, No-toil premium, Twin Air, Moose, pro-X (?) and a "generic that I bought off of Amazon/E-Bay called Out law.
The Uni filters have come un-glued and I will NEVER spend my money on one again (with the exception of the mini bike filters, but I don't have to clean those much). Also Uni's have a tendency to let very fine particles through them too easily.
No-Toil pre oiled....great in a pinch, they can be re-oiled quite a bit before needing replacing. No problems with the filter itself.
No-Toil PREMIUM filter...very nice filter, solid, doesn't let dirt through, it is a one piece (no seams) filter...one of my favorite filters.
Twin Air....3rd favorite filter. Same as N-T Premium as far as quality, but the N-T seems better built.
Moose...I bought this after getting one for my wife's CRF. I was impressed by the apparent quality, so I found one for my KDX. My favorite filter yet. Haven't seen any dirt inside (just like the No-toil and Twin air filters), but it also has a really cool seal on it. This is the filter that I will be replacing all my filters with from now on. Mine isn't black, nor does it have the plastic piece that the screw goes through (none of these filters does btw).
Pro-X...I find these filters to be cheap feeling and really made for MX style racing, where you clean it after every moto. Just not a good filter for a trail bike IMO. Less filtering quality than the UNI. I will not be using this filter in regular rotation.
And finally the Out-Law.....I haven't used this filter yet, so overall quality I can't say good or bad. I CAN say that it looks EXACTLY like the Moose filter. It was $16 so I thought I'd give it a go. So far it has been oiled and is hanging up waiting for me to use it.

In summary, the ones that I like the least are; Uni and Pro-X. I wouldn't recommend these filters to anyone. The top 3, and as far as I can tell, they are all similar in overall quality, are; Moose, No-Toil Premium and Twin Air. All seem to perform the same, but the Moose hits the top of my list because of that cool seal.
I use Belray filter oil on my filters, even the pre-oiled N-T (after it's first use) and admittedly don't clean my filters every ride.
I don't think that any of these filters are bad, but a couple lack qualities for trail riding or longevity. Some of them MUST be cleaned after every use as well and when you have 9 bikes, well that is a lot of time and work, so I don't do it, even if I should.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Best Air Filter?

Post by Tioli »

I have a funnel web in my KX125 hybrid and am very happy with it. Far better than what was on there as it fits nicely. What ever brand that used to have never fitted properly.

How they work make since to me a it now has at least twice the surface area so will pass air for longer.

It also passes the hold it up to the light test. If you hold a air cleaner up to the light and can see speckles of light then it's not going to be very good at holding dust back.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
chippy

Best Air Filter?

Post by chippy »

Thanks for all of the input! This is exactly the info I was looking for!

FWIW - I have been using a PC FLOW filter in both of my trail bikes. The one that comes with 2 extra "skins" . I have had good luck with them, but the seams do split after awhile. For some reason I just can't seem to find them to fit the KDX anymore?
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

I was using the no toil pre oiled filters for the last few months. Ive recently sent my head off to rb, and when I pulled my head I have fine scoring on my few month old replate and piston. And fine sand particles in the carb boot. Our last few races have been extreamly Dusty and it let some fine dust thru. Previously I was using there premium filter and had no trouble. I think ill try the moose now.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

royadams wrote: Previously I was using there premium filter and had no trouble.
Out of curiosity, what do you see if you hold the pre-oiled filter up to a bright light.

I believe the no-toil I compared was a premium, but I'm not 100% on that since it was given to me just for the testing.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Ill look tonight. I was also running belay oil on the premium filter.
Adamnb1

Best Air Filter?

Post by Adamnb1 »

to summarize the test results in the link I posted,
Moose and No-toil = great
uni and twin-air = not good enough.
the vacuum test is a fine way to measure the effectiveness of an air filter, regardless of the fact that an engine produces much less force.
chippy

Best Air Filter?

Post by chippy »

I want to try a Moose filter.
Where is the best place to get them on-line? I see neither Rocky Mtn. or Chaparral carry them???
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I don't remember where I got mine, probably eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moose-Racing-Tw ... 0a&vxp=mtr

DT1 makes them for Moose: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DT-1-Racing-Air ... 58&vxp=mtr
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Best Air Filter?

Post by kx200 »

I got mine from my local dealer with tax and no shipping charges for $20.31. But If you hate your dealer mail order it is.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Tedh98 wrote:
royadams wrote: Previously I was using there premium filter and had no trouble.
Out of curiosity, what do you see if you hold the pre-oiled filter up to a bright light.

I believe the no-toil I compared was a premium, but I'm not 100% on that since it was given to me just for the testing.
I can see the spots of light through it. I also purchased some maxima pre oiled pro filters i was going to try. I can see thru them as well. I dont believe im going to try them now. I just ordered up a couple of moose filters. I wish they made the new moose triple guard filter for my bike. I may try some of those filter skins. I wonder how bad it would choke down the bike if i cut the seal ring off of one of the maxima filters and slid it over the moose one.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I bought a uni for my 02 200 and it was noticibly a tad "growlier" when revving at idle. Mine gave good service. I gently cleaned it with diesel fuel and a follow up bath in a bowl of water with dawn dish liquid. Dry it out, reoil and never had a problem with dirt passing through in my case.
2002 KDX 200