Is this coolant in my oil?

Got questions? We got answers....
MistrRoboto

Post by MistrRoboto »

Hate for this to be my second post, hours after a joyful introduction... but...

Recently got my old 2001 KDX200 from brother. The clutch wouldn't disengage at first, but popped loose after a bump start and has been functioning well since. Right after that, I changed the oil with Mobile 1 10w40. Rode a tank of gas through it and the results aren't looking good.

I'm not genius, but this sure looks like traces of my green coolant in the oil. You agree? I am hoping its just gunk from not having the old oil changed for a while. Coolant levels are still topped off, but I also used a full qt of oil so there isn't much room in there. If it is coolant, what are my next steps to resolving this?

Thanks!
Jim
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Is this coolant in my oil?

Post by IDRIDR »

That doesn't look good. Are you watching the coolant levels?

Water pump seal would be my first guess, which wouldn't be the end of the world. Let's see what the knowledgeable say.
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Hard to tell from the picture, but if it is coolant it's not as bad as you might think. First thing I would do is put a fresh change of oil in and check your coolant level. Go ride and come back check your coolant level and drain the oil and inspect. If it is coolant then you'll need to replace the water pump seals, not a hard job and can be done with the motor on the frame, but you'll want to make sure you have your service manual handy.
MistrRoboto

Post by MistrRoboto »

IDRIDR wrote:That doesn't look good. Are you watching the coolant levels?

Water pump seal would be my first guess, which wouldn't be the end of the world. Let's see what the knowledgeable say.
Coolant is still topped off! My tank is nearly empty, but its always been.

Since it's a 2 stroke, coolant in that oil doesn't risk blown motor right?

Thanks!
Jim

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

MistrRoboto wrote:

Thanks!
Jim

It won't blow the motor, but I wouldn't want coolant lubing my trans :cool: .

On my screen I don't see much green in it. If the bike sat long enough for the clutch to seize up I wouldn't be too surprised if it was just condensation building up making the oil look milky. I'm not an expert, but if it were mine I'd change all the fluids and get everything topped off and go ride it. Then just keep a good eye on it and make sure nothing is disappearing.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
MistrRoboto

Post by MistrRoboto »

JFortner5 wrote:
MistrRoboto wrote:

Thanks!
Jim

On my screen I don't see much green in it. If the bike sat long enough for the clutch to seize up I wouldn't be too surprised if it was just condensation building up making the oil look milky. I'm not an expert, but if it were mine I'd change all the fluids and get everything topped off and go ride it. Then just keep a good eye on it and make sure nothing is disappearing.
Just incase I wasn't clear, this is the new oil. It sat for likely years, then given to me and I changed it immediately (last week). The milky stuff pictured is new Mobile 1, with 4-5 hours of riding.

I'll fill again and see if it continues.

Thanks
Jim
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

It's a little hard to tell from the photo and easy to suspect it's coolant.

My experience was when I fist bought the bike the oil was grey/whiteish. Really suspected water in the oil but some where I read it could be aluminium from the clutch. Never heard of that before so I changed the oil new clutch plates and the problem disappeared.

Not saying this is the case hear
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Sooo....It actually doesn't look like there is coolant in the oil. It does, HOWEVER, look like the oil needs to be flushed a few times, just to get the dried out clutch parts out of the oil.
The oil that you are looking at is what lubes the transmission, not the motor (it's a TWO stroke), so keep an eye out for contamination and be ready to do a little bit of work IF it is getting contaminated. If the oil becomes milky, you have a water pump problem, if it becomes discolored by "pieces of flashy ****" (layman's terms) then you need a clutch kit.
If it were ME, I'd ride it twice and then inspect the oil.
The 95-06 KDXs don't have a water pump (oil seal) problem like the 89-04 KDXs did, so I would probably lean towards the clutch plates dried up (which they did) and are now shedding pieces into your oil.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

MistrRoboto wrote:
JFortner5 wrote:
MistrRoboto wrote: Coolant is still topped off! My tank is nearly empty, but its always been.

Thanks!
Jim

Just incase I wasn't clear, this is the new oil. It sat for likely years, then given to me and I changed it immediately (last week). The milky stuff pictured is new Mobile 1, with 4-5 hours of riding.

I'll fill again and see if it continues.

Thanks
Jim
I re-read it and it makes sense, my mistake. It is hard to tell from the pic, but it looks about like mine did when I changed it. Clutch material gets in it and makes it look bad.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
MistrRoboto

Post by MistrRoboto »

Appreciate all the quick feedback. I'll keep an eye on it and hope for the best.

I'm all about digging into the motor/trans, just wanted to hold off until winter.

-Jim
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

MistrRoboto wrote: I'm all about digging into the motor/trans, just wanted to hold off until winter.
-Jim
:naughty: Best time to ride! I rebuild mine in the summer :supz:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yeah, if it sat for years you had condensation in there that is going to make the first few oil changes look milky. Do a couple change and ride cycles and keep an eye on the coolant level in the radiator, don't use the overflow bottle to gauge. Normally when clutch material is present the oil looks like it has glitter in it. Wouldn't hurt to drag a magnet around in the old oil just because.
MistrRoboto

Post by MistrRoboto »

bufftester wrote:Yeah, if it sat for years you had condensation in there that is going to make the first few oil changes look milky. Do a couple change and ride cycles and keep an eye on the coolant level in the radiator, don't use the overflow bottle to gauge. Normally when clutch material is present the oil looks like it has glitter in it. Wouldn't hurt to drag a magnet around in the old oil just because.
It does kind of have a slight shimmer to it. I'll stay on it and report back!

Thanks,
Jim
kdx633
Supporting Member

Post by kdx633 »

Place some of the drain oil in a glass jar and leave it sit for a day.then with out stirring it up look for oil/coolant separation.