What pipe?

Got questions? We got answers....
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

What pipe?

Post by s10gto »

I think I know what most will suggest ,but thought I would ask anyways. Last Sunday I flattened my stock 220 pipe. Looking at the FMF Gnarly desert. Bike is all stock. I ride it to work 40 to 55 MPH avg. and when off road ride very technical single track 2nd ,3rd gear mostly. Will be using factory muffler.

Suggestion , thoughts ? Thanks
BlackMist

Re: What pipe?

Post by BlackMist »

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Not sure why the facepalm was needed.

Yes, you are correct. FMF Desert will be a good match for your bike. The woods version just kills too much top end on the 220.
cornishwrecker220

What pipe?

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

If you ride tight single track....2nd , 3rd even 4th gear then the FMF 'woods' pipe is what you want. It will enhance the bottom end / mid range .... I have a pro circuit pipe & FMF woods pipe for my 220 & I prefer to run the FMF as I mostly ride single track & seldom get out of 4th gear .
All 220s fall flat toward the higher end of the RPM range due to their porting design....unless you alter the timing & port / tune the motor you won't gain much on top before it falls flat.
A desert pipe or PC pipe could help a little but blink & it will all be over :?
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

Julien D wrote:Not sure why the facepalm was needed.

Yes, you are correct. FMF Desert will be a good match for your bike. The woods version just kills too much top end on the 220.

I'm going with this one. My 220 came with a woods pipe and FMF turbine core. I then picked up a desert pipe and tried them both a few times. The loss of low-end power with the desert pipe was minimal and it picked up some upper end. Will be doing the RB carb and head mod in the future. Ron said hands down, desert pipe with his mods on a 220. Woods pipe was sent to a good friend and member here for use on his 200.

Oh, and I do spend a majority of the ride time on tight single track with this bike.
Last edited by IDRIDR on 01:21 pm Jul 14 2015, edited 1 time in total.
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

BlackMist wrote:Image
Well let's see if I ever help you......

To everyone else Thank you :grin:
CAL-kawi

What pipe?

Post by CAL-kawi »

The 220 woods vs desert debate continues... 19 years and still counting!

I think it depends somewhat on your carb setup (33 vs 35mm, carb needle etc.) and how truly technical your terrain is.

The riding terrain here (BC west coast) is very steep and narrow with big tree roots everywhere. Lots of 1st and 2nd with the 13/48 gearing. My experience with the 33mm carb and woods pipe combo was that I had to slip the clutch a lot in the technical spots just to calm it down. The woods pipe was just too abrupt off idle, and then the torque curve stayed pretty flat as revs build (Especially when compared to my 200 with the smoooth "D" taper needle - technical bliss...).

With the desert pipe (or the PC2, same profile) I can lug it smoothly through the ugly sections, rocky creek beds etc without slipping the clutch. When things open up, there's LOTS left in the upper rpm range too. So my nod goes to the desert pipe.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

What pipe?

Post by s10gto »

Cool The Desert it is. That's what I thought but I only have a YZ250 with the gnarly woods to compare to. The woods pipe made my YZ have bottom end but of course has alot more power to begin with so a little off the top is OK.

Thanks everyone! Ride safe! :grin:
BlackMist

What pipe?

Post by BlackMist »

I was originally just trying to be funny. Guess I can't be.

Dating back to 2011 is where I stopped. Someone with as many posts as you should have read at least one of them or used search? Hence the face palm, just as a pun
The pipe discussion is everywhere. I rather doubt I'd need you're help, but thnx for clarifying.
Don't forget to do the piston in the 220.

http://www.frpoffroad.com/aboutus.htm

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... pe#p164210

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... pe#p144860

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... pe#p119717

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... pe#p116837

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... ipe#p96250
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

All good dude. Just messing with you. Not too many plated 220's. Can be a factor in pipe selection.

Forged piston done.
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

Woods would fall off too soon, pc pipe or desert would be the ideal for road requirements. Merging etc. even so woods pipe on a 220 is not common even off road. I highly doubt even a full handful ride with a woods pipe on the 220. The bottom end grunt is already there and a proper jetting with the desert pipe actually makes power across the board not just an on off switch of power. It improves what's already there in the bottom end, and makes the high better. Still not 200 fast but will do alright
if you're getting engine/carb work from fredette or Ron don't forget to tell them your needs and they can fine tune. Having factory muffler is nice, just the tinny sound from the pipe is all you get for noise increase. No repacking just draining and doesn't make a mess.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm not a total :butthead: hole :partyman:
cornishwrecker220

What pipe?

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I like the power delivery of the woods pipe....power comes on well & builds up giving me the torque I need when I need it, as I ride tight single track, the first 4 gears are important to me....I have installed the PC pipe just to see what difference it made , yes I did loose some bottom end snap & the power curve shifted in a way that didn't suit my riding style or terrain so I swapped back to the woods pipe...I should mention that my 220 is ported with other mods but even in this state of tune the bike responded better to the FMF woods pipe ....I'm just speaking through my personal experience with both pipes.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

BlackMist wrote:Woods would fall off too soon, pc pipe or desert would be the ideal for road requirements. Merging etc. even so woods pipe on a 220 is not common even off road. I highly doubt even a full handful ride with a woods pipe on the 220. The bottom end grunt is already there and a proper jetting with the desert pipe actually makes power across the board not just an on off switch of power. It improves what's already there in the bottom end, and makes the high better. Still not 200 fast but will do alright
if you're getting engine/carb work from fredette or Ron don't forget to tell them your needs and they can fine tune. Having factory muffler is nice, just the tinny sound from the pipe is all you get for noise increase. No repacking just draining and doesn't make a mess.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm not a total :butthead: hole :partyman:
No apologies needed man. Was perdy funny after I saw the 220 pipe thread 6 post down :doh: .

The stock pipe does fine on the street. Sounds like the Rev (desert) will be even better. Had a rev once on my yz. Loved the mid to never ending top. The woods just made it way more single track friendly.
melias24

Post by melias24 »

Julien D wrote:Not sure why the facepalm was needed.

what about on a KDX200? I read the desert pipe increases bottom end and makes makes it scream in the top end. Am I correct? Just wondering as I wouldn't mind a KDX!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Really depends on your use. On a 200, either pipe will add power everywhere over the stock pipe. The desert pipe focuses on top end overrev, while the woods pipe focuses on low end grunt.
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I have a woods pipe on my 220 and it does fine for what I need. I had a desert pipe on it when I got it but I traded another member here.

I like it even on the 220. It still has enough top end for me and I honestly didn't feel that it lost much. I like to lug though so it works for me.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
chippy

What pipe?

Post by chippy »

CAL-kawi wrote:The 220 woods vs desert debate continues... 19 years and still counting!

I think it depends somewhat on your carb setup (33 vs 35mm, carb needle etc.) and how truly technical your terrain is.

The riding terrain here (BC west coast) is very steep and narrow with big tree roots everywhere. Lots of 1st and 2nd with the 13/48 gearing. My experience with the 33mm carb and woods pipe combo was that I had to slip the clutch a lot in the technical spots just to calm it down. The woods pipe was just too abrupt off idle, and then the torque curve stayed pretty flat as revs build (Especially when compared to my 200 with the smoooth "D" taper needle - technical bliss...).

With the desert pipe (or the PC2, same profile) I can lug it smoothly through the ugly sections, rocky creek beds etc without slipping the clutch. When things open up, there's LOTS left in the upper rpm range too. So my nod goes to the desert pipe.
Please tell me more about the "smooth D-taper needle" for the 200. What needle are you referring too?