? For the duelsport kdxers

Got questions? We got answers....
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Been riding my 220 to work and it's is simply awesome. My question for my fellow plated kdxers is how do you smooth out your ride? In other words as you level off your speed do you just let the bike (four stroke) with slight throttle changes as you cruise? Or other? This is what I have been doing but I only got to go 2 miles one way. I did do a 10 mile one way ride and it got me thinking if there is a better technique. I understand not to throttle chop ect. Bike rips in the wood and just runs perfect with stock jetting. Looking for techniques over bike changes but all tips welcome. Thanks!
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: ? For the duelsport kdxers

Post by ohgood »

i don't know any better, so i just let it four stroke. it's annoying for a while, but freaking sweet once there is a load on the bike (hills) or accelerating (super awesome fun time) and I'm off road again.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Your supposed to slow down? Oopps :lol:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

They are some Smooooth machines on the throttle! :mrgreen:
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

if you take it onto the highway be aware that having it "on the pipe" with reduced throttle to maintain an even speed can cause it to seize.
Happened to me once.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

No highway for me. Bikes too light and on trackmasters. :shock: All set with that.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

I figured 4 stroking is just the way it is. Firing every other stroke will be extra oil and half the heat anyways. Thanks guys! :mrgreen:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

What do you mean 4 stroking? Your bike is a 2T and will always fire every stroke regardless of what you do with the throttle.
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

I'm also struggling to understand the 4-stroke thing. I guess you guys mean keeping it cruising at a constant speed/throttle? I always accelerate slightly/brake a bit as I'm riding mine. Scared me to keep it going steady.
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

"4stroking" is often used to describe a rich misfire in a 2 stroke, or the gurgling before getting it "cleaned out".
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

My 220 is road legal & I use it on the road to get to my trails....
When I ride on the road I tend not to go above 45 mph although the bike will accelerate up to 80mph no problem.....
If I ride for any length of time on the road then I don't let the bike sit at 45mph, I will mix it up a little & go to say 55 mph then chop the throttle & slow back to 45 mph.... On down hills I pull the clutch in & blip the throttle a few times ...when the speed slows I hold the revs & let the clutch out & steady the throttle keeping a steady speed .... It won't hurt to de-accelerate for a short down hill provided your speed isn't too excessive ( 2 strokes have some oil which remains unburnt in the crank cases ).
No 2 stroke especially mx style smokers are easy to ride at a constant throttle..... They will burble & fart ...finding a point where they are most happiest is the key ! :grin:
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

adam728 wrote:"4stroking" is often used to describe a rich misfire in a 2 stroke, or the gurgling before getting it "cleaned out".
Yes correct.

What is happening is there is very little oxygen entering the cylinder due to light throttle. At light throttle the pipe does not have its ( Tuned effect to empty the cylinder completely. This leaves no room for enough oxygen to support combustion. On the next engine cycle there is enough oxygen and the engine fires. Engine is now firing on every other cycle or (Four stroking).

Add some throttle = oxygen+ coming on pipe = BRAAAAAAAP! 2 stroking :mrgreen:
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Sorry guys could only find one in pumpkin...

ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

s10gto wrote:Sorry guys could only find one in pumpkin...

This is exactly how my kdx behaves.

I rode a rmx250 that did not four stroke at all, smooth as silk while cruising on the road, I felt like I was wrong for riding it there it was so good.

But then it assploded at the Perry Mountain 24hr Challenge.... So maybe they should act like your video displays.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Mine acts like video too.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

If your jetting is on the rich side then your bike will ' four Stoke ' more.....

Listen to the ktm in the video , the jetting is clearly on the thick side.....by the look of the bike I would say he rides a lot of Tarmac ....hence thick jetting.....& mirrors !!!!
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

When I first converted my KDX I tried one size up on the pilot. Was OK but Once in a while in the woods would get a little bog before the pipe and cruising on the street made spooge. Went back to factory pilot , reset air screw and all is good.