Kdx200 e2 brake or front end swap?

Got questions? We got answers....
Rwd4evr

Post by Rwd4evr »

Try this AGAIN!!!
I have a1990 Kdx 200 e2, ruined the brake caliper seals with foamy engine brite cleaning up my leaky fork seals. I found the rubbers but the h twin piston stuff is better and more available. I can get the whole h setup for 50-75 bucks! Is this a straight forward swap. I have a mini lathe so spacers are not a problem. OR..... I have a whole frontend from a yzf426 that will fit but I don't know about rake in the trees being an issue? Any body have answers?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Kdx200 e2 brake or front end swap?

Post by Julien D »

The H caliper will not bolt up. The spacing is too tight on the bracket mount. If you can get the yzf front end on, that would be ideal. You'll have to push the forks up as high as you can in the triples to keep correct ride height in the front. I'm also pretty certain you would need to have the KDX steering stem pressed into the YZF lower triple. I doubt the steering stem from the YZF would fit the kdx steering bearings.
Rwd4evr

Post by Rwd4evr »

Yeah I looked into bearings after I posted this, could have sworn all balls had the right conversion bearing. Bottom is fine but I'll need to have a 30-47-12 top bearing shimmed down to 28 with a 3mm shim under it to have the seals work properly. Any one see problems arising from this? Was thinking a 1mm piece of stainless rolled and trimmed to fit around the stem properly and lock tighted in place.if I had the stem swapped out I would still need a 1.5 shim around the stem where it goes through the upper tree. So it's either new seals in my forks and caliper or change it all! My front end was never very confidence inspiring any way so I'm really torn.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Not sure I totally understand your problem, but if I do, I can say it's never a good idea to shim the OD of a bearing race with sheet shim stock to make it fit a larger recess bore.

I would suggest you discuss this problem with a good industrial bearing supplier. They may be able to supply a cup race with a larger OD. Or, maybe they can supply a complete bearing assembly with the dimensions you need. In the past I have found good bearing suppliers to be extremely helpful when trying to deal with problems like this.

As a last resort, I would think about having a ring machined up to take up the clearance between the OD of your bearing race and the ID of the recess.

This is where having a small lathe makes it possible to do these things yourself. I couldn't live without mine.
Rwd4evr

Post by Rwd4evr »

If the bearing I need(28-47-15) existed non custom I'm pretty sure all balls would have it. I found 30mm od 28 mm Id stainless tubing I'm going to put on my stem. Then use a 30-47-12 bearing with a 3mm shim under it to put it in the right place for the seals.
I do have a 7/12 mini lathe but no boring bar so id needs to be correct, that's my problem. And I love it too. Make all kind of stuff with it. Just need some more tooling.