first clutch job

Got questions? We got answers....
Jeremym1993

first clutch job

Post by Jeremym1993 »

Hi everyone,I'm new to working on bikes and the forum so I hope I'm not making a fool of myself :shock: Erlier this week I purchased a new clutch"kit" for my 2004 kdx220. When it was delivered today I opened the box and found that it just came with the friction plates. This is the first clutch job I will be doing so I do not want to make any mistakes. Can I buy just the springs or can I reuse the old ones? Any knowledge is appreciated!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: first clutch job

Post by Tedh98 »

The manual will give you the specs on the clutch springs to determine if you can use what you have.

Also make sure your steels aren't warped or burned.

Be sure to soak your frictions first and don't over-tighten the 4 bolts on the pressure plate. It doesn't take much to snap the posts.

This approach to putting the clutch together has saved me a lot of time and frustration - KDX clutch install
Jeremym1993

Re: first clutch job

Post by Jeremym1993 »

Tedh98 wrote:The manual will give you the specs on the clutch springs to determine if you can use what you have.

Also make sure your steels aren't warped or burned.

Be sure to soak your frictions first and don't over-tighten the 4 bolts on the pressure plate. It doesn't take much to snap the posts.

This approach to putting the clutch together has saved me a lot of time and frustration - KDX clutch install
Thanks man I appreciate it . I don't have a manual so I'm goin off of information given/taken from this forum YouTube and such.