klx 250 frame vs kdx200 frame

Got questions? We got answers....
actmobmar
Supporting Member

Post by actmobmar »

how different are the 2 frames? i have an 01 kdx200 that i would like to make street legal to do some quick exploring from trail to trail, and i figured if the klx frame was similar it would be easy to swap all my kdx stuff to it and have a plateable bike. thanks
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: klx 250 frame vs kdx200 frame

Post by Julien D »

Since the klx is a 4 stroke with an angled / side exhaust the single down tube will be in the way of your exhaust, so you'd need to fabricate a new engine cradle or at least weld in a Y pipe in place of the down tube. (front of the engine cradle).
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

actmobmar wrote:how different are the 2 frames? i have an 01 kdx200 that i would like to make street legal to do some quick exploring from trail to trail, and i figured if the klx frame was similar it would be easy to swap all my kdx stuff to it and have a plateable bike. thanks

I titled my kdx, using South Dakota's wonderfully awesome DMV office:
http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.p ... r-ANY-Bike!

needed:
bill of sale
copy of DL
two forms, notarized

My registration was easily transfered from SD to AL, and once you have a title, you can insure it like any other motorcycle. Connecting trails on a real dirt bike instead of a heavy dualsport is a heck of a lot of fun ! :D

DO IT !
Marylander

Post by Marylander »

I don't have my klx any more (was a 300) to compare but I'm pretty sure there's more space inside the klx frame and that all of the extra space is in the bottom (to fit the bigger 4 stroke motor). In other words the klx will have less ground clearance if the seat height is the same.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

vermont title

Post by canamfan »

Many vintage bikes no longer have a title. Some may have been designated off road only and never had a title. Many others had their titles lost over the years. If you have a street legal bike, the value to you and potential buyers is greater with a title. What do you do if you own a streetable bike with no title? You have several choices: --------- Leave it untitled,(and you can not legally ride on the street)------------ follow your state's rules regarding obtaining a title --------hire a title service company (they usually charge well in excess of $100)----------- or use something like Vermont. The question is cost. It was possible in Colorado to use the statutory method, but it was much more expensive. The Vermont method was faster and cheaper.

Vermont allows you to register a bike with only a law enforcement VIN check and their usual sales tax and road fees. Residence is not required---- they don't care. You don't need a bill of sale, heck as far as they are concerned it is already your bike, you just want to register it in Vermont. You will want to call them to determine the book value of the bike as their sales tax collection will be based entirely on that book value. They are happy to take your money. Transferring Vermont's registration to your own state is no different than buying a bike with an out of state title. Take the Vermont registration to your DMV and they will be happy to change it to your state (and charge you). Many people bring in vehicles from out of state, it is not unusual.

Here's what I don't understand-------------.
This is an e-mail a guy posted some time back about how to get a title in Vermont and transfer it to your state. Read and see what you think. I have not tried it myself.

In Colorado, off road only bikes often have no title (it's not required) The same applies to thousands of 4 wheelers and snowmobiles so prevalent in this area. To qualify for a title, your bike needs to be street legal. 4 wheelers and snowmobiles can not qualify for a title. The title is a legal document that verifies the vehicle is streetable, and subject to all the rules and laws of the road. If it is not streetable, you don't qualify for a title.

Insurance wise, all of them, whether titled street bikes, or non titled dirt bikes, 4 wheelers and snowmobiles are insurable, I guess you would need to consult your insurance agent to find your local rules. The insurance rates will probably go higher if you title a previously non titled bike as street legal vehicles have the legal exposure implied with driving on public roadways.

I know that members of the my other Yahoo group have used this method in Lousianna, Arizona, California and many other states. I have not heard of anyone hitting a dead end. If you own an untitled bike, and wish to get it titled, this method will work to get a Vermont registration. Your state may require a road worthiness inspection, but your state is required to accept any other state's legal registration.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

you're titling a machine. Vermont and South Dakota don't care. then you carry your new South Dakota or Vermont title to your DMV and transfer it.

i renewed mine today. $22.
actmobmar
Supporting Member

Post by actmobmar »

it sounds like i would physically have to take the bike to vermont? i am located in florida, tried to bring the bill of sale for the kdx to dmv and they knew immediately that it was off road only from the vin. i figured switching the frame would be an easier route, as the klx frame is street legal.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Not in this case, unless you are prepared to weld up your own engine cradle.
actmobmar
Supporting Member

Post by actmobmar »

How does it work with a title service company? I would still have the same vin, so how does that work?