Air Filters

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Air Filters

Post by Ryan »

well i dont think this question has been asked much so im gonna ask it. I think i have the stock filter right now but i am going to get a new one, it is four years old and i want a better one. I am not sure which one to get. Are there any filters that really work well? I was thinking about a unifilter, but im not sure if they are good??? thanks
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Twinair.

Notoil oil system.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
fulltiltboogie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fulltiltboogie »

The Moose filters are really neat because they have a neoprene area for sealing so you don't have to use grease. They don't seem to last as long as others though. I've tried them all and see no performance gains over the oem.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

so then the uni air filter would probably work good? have you heard anything negative about them??
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yeah. I heard I don't like 'em.

But, given past threads, I'm sure you will choose the Boyesen reeds instead! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well kinda, i got a df2 for a really good deal. I hope it shows some improvment on throttle response.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 4Rider »

I have used Uni filters for a long time and have not had any problems, but.....

There was quite a lengthy discussion on the Adventure Rider site several months ago regarding airfilters. One regular contributor, loaded again (Colin) started the main controversy talking about exclusively using disposable filters. If you are not familiar with them, you can get single use, pre-oiled disposable filters from most discount suppliers. In small quantities you can get them for under $10 each.

Colin and several other writers claim to have engineering knowledge that proves that foam filters lose efficiency with each cleaning. At first I thought they were full of hooey, but I started examining my Uni Filters after each cleaning, and comparing them to a new unused filter. You can definitely see the deterioration of the filters progressing with each trip to the solvent tank, or to the sink with water-based degreaser. I also tried using the Uni filter oil and cleaner kit, and noted almost the same deterioration as using solvent cleaners.

The next exercise was to try to do some kind of comparison of the cost of using a disposable filter versus cleaning and re-oiling a Uni Filter. Gotta tell ya, it doesn't really cost much more to use the disposable once you count the cost of filter oil, filter cleaner, sealing grease and cleanup. This is even more true if you use one of the special purpose systems like NoToil or the Uni Kit.

I still have a couple of new Uni Filters to use, but I am considering going to the disposable filters.

Now before you go all tree-hugger on me and castigate me for having a throw-away mentality, I also think using a disposable filter may (big may) be more enviro-friendly. Where does all the used solvent go when you clean your filters? If you are using water-based degreasers, where does the used degreaser (carrying the nasty oil and sludge) go?
'02 KDX 220, '06 KTM 525 EXC Dualsport (CA Plated) '00 KTM 640 Adventure R (for sale), '04 KTM 400 EXC, '96 Honda XR400R Dualsport (CA Plated), Were not lost, we're right here......
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

This is a cross reference for No-Toil filters. I imagine it should be pretty much the same for most filters...

KX80 86-90

KX125 86

KX125/250 87-89

KDX200/220 89-02

KX250 84

KDX250 91-94

KLX250/300/650 ALL

KX500 87-02

RM125/250 90-92

RMX250 89-02

I bought a few no-toils when RM had a sale on them last year for under $10 a piece but never got the maintenence kit, I just used them like any other filter. Maybe that was a mistake but they seem to work OK that way.

I haven't found any REAL disposable filters for our KDX's, if someone else has... please provide a link if possible.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Nevermind... they just come out with them! :supz: (So new no one lists them yet)
These are reusable too so they are a bargain to say the least....

http://store.readyracingstore.com/refi1kd.html
Last edited by Indawoods on 11:43 pm Nov 30 2005, edited 2 times in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

UNI filters are fine. I ride in LOTS of dust and they hold up very well and filter out the dirt. I take it Carvr has taken exception to the filter for some reason. I oil (No-Toil) both the inner and the outer filter elements. The package says that the inner filter is the only one that requires oil but that by oiling the outer, they work better in dusty conditions.
I've washed mine after every ride, (started using them in September) and so far they have held up to 8 washings without any mishaps.

I also use the neoprene gasket so I don't use grease to seal the filter to the airbox.

As far as environmental issues, no-toil is 100% environmentaly friendly. (Perhaps not the manufacturing of the product, but the stuff the consumer handles is)
It's vegie oil and is safe to drain, or drink for that matter. (I wouldn't advise it, it doesn't taste all that great! :blink: )

Any major brand filter with a quality oil serviced regularly is going to work just fine under most conditions.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Nevermind... they just come out with them! :supz: (So new no one lists them yet)
These are reusable too so they are a bargain to say the least....

http://store.readyracingstore.com/refi1kd.html
A bargain to say the least..........NOT!!!

I just went through the process of ordering one. With tax of $0.77 and shipping a wopping $9.65 the price more than doubles to $20.37
So much for a bargain. I'll take my chances with my UNI filters, thankyouverymuch!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's the problem... one.

"Ready Racing recommends that customers maximize their shipping dollars by ordering a minimum of 3 items per order. "

I didn't say you should order one from the manufacturer... just that they are being made for the KDX now. I will wait for RM to stock them or get my dealer to start stocking them.

Made from the same foam as the UNI and comes pre-oiled, I still say they are a bargain. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Indawoods on 12:25 am Dec 01 2005, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I think i'll just keep oiling my filter like normal and get some reusable filter skins aka pool strainer socks and use them a prefilter.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Check it out! I sniped an avitar!!

As Gumby says: MERRY CHRISTMAS DAMMIT!!!

If RM gets them in stock and keeps their shipping as it currently is, then it's worth a shot. Where did you see it's the same foam as the UNI?
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote: Where did you see it's the same foam as the UNI?
http://readyracing.com/
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I looked. I did a word search on their page and don't see UNI anywhere. I'm BLIND!!!!!!
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Nevermind then...

When they say "made from the same high quality components... " that's what I see. :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's all good... I don't care if you want to buy them or not... it's just another product to consider.
Personally I think they are a good idea ... especially on a camping/riding trip when you are not prepared several days in advance with having a spare filter clean, oiled and ready to go in a glad bag.

They Dyno good (sorry, there is a link on the site but you have to find it) and are less than half the price of UNI.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Now, don't think I don't appreciate your posting the find. It's a good product, most likely, at a good price. But it remains to be tested by the good folks here. Be the first and let us know if dirt leaks through. I'm always skeptical of quality control from a company that I'm not familiar with or is not a household brand with an industry wide reputation. It could very well be the best material out there but with a poor quality control, well, that's like taking a chance with a condom that doesn't go through good quality control. You could be very sorry. I'd rather not risk my motor for $10 or so. The filter socks seem to be a good bet and with the pool filter items being inexpensive enough to test, I'd give that a try. It won't compromise the standard filter so I don't see where it would cause any harm; just perhaps a performance decrease if the air flow is restricted enough.

I'm pretty interested in Carvr's issues with UNI. It sounded like he didn't like them.
Jerry

quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I have atleast three filters for each of my bikes. I've got one uni, one no-toil, 5 Moose, one OEM, and one twin air. They are all good....provided they are used properly and tossed when no longer servicable.

I like No-toil's idea, however, I was spending lot's of money on cleaner. About 3 bottles of cleaner to one bottle of oil. I switched to Maxima FFT. It's messy and horrible to clean. But the stuff is super sticky without adversly restricting air flow.

With all that said...this topic is real similiar to the "what's the best transmission oil" topic or the "which 2 stroke oil is the best" topic. Everyone has a different (and valid) opinion. What is important is not which brand, but...

1. Clean it often.
2. Oil it thoroughly.
3. Discard and replace when worn.

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC