Esnipe Question

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Esnipe Question

Post by KDX220PHIL »

This may sound dumb, but I was wondering if when using esnipe does it enter your maximum amount to ebay so that ebay can bid on behalf of you, or does esnipe repeatedly bid higher increments?

If I give esnipe my maximum and i win, will I have to pay that maximum or will the bidding go up in increments like it normally does until the last buyer wins.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It works exactly like eBay....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

What is the advantage of sniping over using ebay...if it's the same? Seems the possible time lag of having another layer OUTside of ebay could slow things down.

Why bother sniping if ebay does the same thing?

If THAT's a dumb question...Phil told me to ask!! :roll:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
fulltiltboogie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fulltiltboogie »

Sniping you can set up your maximum price and don't have to be at your computer to enter the bid with 5 seconds to go.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I think it tells ebay at the 6 second before bid closure mark, what your max bid is. I got a message from ebay last night that it knew my max bid for a wheel was $80.00, and I won it for $49.50. Esnipe keeps Ebay from knowing what your max is say 4 days before closing, so that the bids don't run up to max 5 minutes after you submit it. that happens a lot, because if the item is sitting at $20, and your max is $100, somebody else has bid the $20, but their max is $110 in a few seconds they are going to be the max bidder at $110 (or actually $102 if the minimum bid increment is $2). Not submitting your bid until the last moment helps keep the price low.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Your missing the point of sniping... think about it's meaning....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Well it worked, but I was out-sniped.

I had a meeting at the time of auction end so I couldnt bid at the last moment, esnipe did it for me.

It does work like ebay in the repect that it places my maximum bid and ebay bids increments, but it snipes meaning it places my maximum bid at the specified time I choose. I find placing a bid at the last minute gives your competition less time to think if they are going to spend that little bit more. You have to realize many people do not put in the maximum amount they are willing to spend, just thinking about what they are willing to spend is sometimes difficult until the acution ends and they think "hmmmmmm. I would have spent that".

This esnipe is really taking off, I managed to get out of the meeting early and I watched the last couple minutes of the auction. In the last 10 seconds the bid on a set of 04 forks jumped from $96 to $182. Makes me wonder how may snipes were in there, and how many of them were you guys :mrgreen: .

Although Esnipe is nice for certain instances, I prefer to Snipe myself.

Also, anybody thinking of joining? Keep in mind while you are registering with Esnipe and type in your passwords the ********* do not come up, your password is clearly visible on the screen. That is the stupidist f'n thing I have seen all day, who ever set that up is a moron!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Sniping IS: Bidding as late as possible

eSnipe IS: having a service bid for you as late as possible so you don't have to be in front of the computer, (vacation/work/asleep/out riding/etc.)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I joined up and have been using it. I've won 5 bids so far with it.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sniping is taking out an opponent with one action without them knowing where it is coming from.

I thought it was clear anyway.... :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: eSnipe IS: having a service bid for you as late as possible

Ebay max bid does that.

re (CM): Esnipe keeps Ebay from knowing what your max is say 4 days before closing, so that the bids don't run up to max 5 minutes after you submit it.

Well...I said it was a dumb question!

Of course, that's it.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Heck...I don't know what it means (re: consider the meaning) when it comes to bidding on anything. I snipe at Inda all the time 'bout various meaningless junk..but I never bid on anything of his.

..I know. I'll look the word up. How 'bout that?

...some kind of bird maybe??.......... :?

**edit**

Yep!! From Webster's II:

Snipe: 1. A long billed wading bird...a bird similar to or related to the snipe. 2. A gunshot fired from a concealed place. 3. To make malicious, underhand remarks or attacks.

AAAHHhhhhh....it's all clear to me now!! :neutral:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

You can set up a snipe on an item without even bidding on it through Ebay. That way it helps keep the price from going up to close to your maximum bid towards the end of an aution. If you Proxy bid on e-bay, and you put your max in, then Jo-shmo is going to come along in the last few hours and bid the price up trying to hit your maximum bid. See? :shock: It also protects you from the sellers buddy comming in and driving the price up also, but we all know that thats illegal on e-bay and would never happen right? :roll:

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's a safety net too!

Sometimes a like item will come up that you would rather have or a Buy it Now and you want to remove your bid without penalty. Sniping allows you to do that by simply logging on and deleting the snipe. No harm, no foul!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

canyncarvr, allow me to add:

If you bid early on eBay, then like jafo said, Joe Schmo can come in and bid, then say "yeah, I'll bid $2 higher, repeat, repeat, repeat". If you bid in the last few minutes/seconds, no one has time to sit and think about just how high they will bid. It's what you will really bid against what any other person will bid. No need to give them time to think about it/check with wifey/etc. and come back in a leasurely amount of time and bid higher. All that does is lose an auction for you, or at least cause you to pay higher for it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128